• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Someone to estimate value of old coins

One of the cool things I got from my dad was his coins. I doubt there is anything of great value but its cool to look through from time to time. I dont know if my kids will care anything about this. We spent some time documenting the descriptions and my 12 year old thought it was cool the first 15 mins. Ive thought of selling them or buying more but just store them because I cant decide if I get it.
My kids don’t care about this stuff. It’s a shame, really. I have a pretty cool collection including a ton of paper money from WWI German Deutschmarks to Chinese Yen to Brazilian, French, Dutch and English currency…I even have a pretty cool “short snorter” (sorta the original challenge coins) from WWII with my great aunt’s name on it. She was a WAC…

IMG_6697.jpeg
IMG_6698.jpeg

My kids don’t care about this stuff. It’s a shame, really. I have a pretty cool collection including a ton of paper money from WWI German Deutschmarks to Chinese Yen to Brazilian, French, Dutch and English currency…I even have a pretty cool “short snorter” (sorta the original challenge coins) from WWII with my great aunt’s name on it. She was a WAC…

View attachment 5892750View attachment 5892757
Outstanding. I left quite a few short snorters in bars in the Philippines, in Pubs in England and in bars in Japan. Loved looking at those things and spotting names of people I had known. Very nice collection!!!!

Depending on what you have you could quite possibly have a few very valuable coins. The problem is it takes a lot of time to review and grade each coin. My dad's collection sat in a box for over 30 years and I jumped while I was convalescing. Anyone who offers you silver value or just above is going to spend the time looking for the good, to great and probably horde the rest for the apocalypse.
Anyone who offers to look at them is only looking to make a cursory review to make a quick estimate as to weather your collection is valuable or junk, and if they see nice silver they will try to buy the lot at slightly higher than spot and while moaning about the time it takes to appraise each coin. That last part is the truth.

It takes so long to grade each coin accurately even with my coin micro scopes.

No one here is telling you this, but go to PCGS.com (link below) . take time to start educating yourself on their web site. If you do you will quickly realize if your coins have true value or if their just junk. If you have a super rare 1955 Lincoln cent double die date you will have a huge payday for it.

Depending on what you have you could quite possibly have a few very valuable coins. The problem is it takes a lot of time to review and grade each coin. My dad's collection sat in a box for over 30 years and I jumped while I was convalescing. Anyone who offers you silver value or just above is going to spend the time looking for the good, to great and probably horde the rest for the apocalypse.
Anyone who offers to look at them is only looking to make a cursory review to make a quick estimate as to weather your collection is valuable or junk, and if they see nice silver they will try to buy the lot at slightly higher than spot and while moaning about the time it takes to appraise each coin. That last part is the truth.

It takes so long to grade each coin accurately even with my coin micro scopes.

No one here is telling you this, but go to PCGS.com (link below) . take time to start educating yourself on their web site. If you do you will quickly realize if your coins have true value or if their just junk. If you have a super rare 1955 Lincoln cent double die date you will have a huge payday for it.

Actually you can go to pcgs.com and then log into the forum section and go to US coins. There is a cadre of knowledgeable folks there that will be happy to take a look at photos of your coins and assist you with grading (once you join, and it's free, you have to post, I think, 5 times before you can post a photo, but that is easy. I have been on there for many years.

A lot of people will find a coin in the Walmart parking lot that has been run over and beat up and believe it is a valuable error and they post photos and people will tell them why it isn't an error and why it isn't worth money.

No one will ask you to send them your coins for examination or ask to buy them unless you put them in the BST (buy/sell/trade forum). Folks there have infinite patience (for the most part) and are happy to help.

Don’t want to hijack but I have a collection of coins and will also use the suggestions.
BUT I have a collection of confederate money that I’m trying to get values in and possibly sell.
Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom