• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

CCW and moving.

Tazman

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
7   1
Reaction score
I have read the laws and they say you do not have to update your address on the CCW, but recently I have had a discussion with a Firearms dealer and they told me the address must match the one on my DL. ??? They said it was invalid and they could not sell to me without calling in the federal check. I asked the dealer at the gunshow last week and he said the same thing, but the Probate court person said I don't have to. So should I go through the hassel again, all I did was move from Newton to Barrow county. Anyone here have any issues with a problem like this?

That is incorrect information on the FFLs part. The GWCL is good for a period of Five (5) years and does not need to be updated with new information when or if you move. The DL is different, and you are suppose to update that info within a timely fashion if you move. I buy from FFLs in the Savannah area with a old GFL that has an address from two moves ago, and have never had a problem. Ask the FFL to show you the ATF document that says your GWCL has to have your current address on it for them to not have to do the NICS check before selling you a gun.

I dont think they charged a fee. I figured if a LEO was good with it being the way it is, then the FFL will just have to deal with it. I would only be saving them a phone call anyway if they want to push it. Thanks for the input.

That is incorrect information on the FFLs part. The GWCL is good for a period of Five (5) years and does not need to be updated with new information when or if you move. The DL is different, and you are suppose to update that info within a timely fashion if you move. I buy from FFLs in the Savannah area with a old GFL that has an address from two moves ago, and have never had a problem. Ask the FFL to show you the ATF document that says your GWCL has to have your current address on it for them to not have to do the NICS check before selling you a gun.
30 Days

I was told recently that if you move to an address in the same county then you don't have to change address on permit but if moving out of county you have to pay to get new carry permit with updated address($5). Just what I was told.....

Ask the FFL to show you the ATF document that says your GWCL has to have your current address on it for them to not have to do the NICS check before selling you a gun.

Where is this document? Where is it in writing (offical document from the ATF or State of Ga.) that this is true?

Back
Top Bottom