• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Caterpillar injector pump

Thought about that, may try it. Wanted to hear all possible before stressing that cast injector pump housing

How bad is it leaking ?

might be better to just put it back together and let it drip.
Faster than can pour in tank. So no choice but try. I tried tapping a leather washer in there. Didn't get much in. But am going to try it again. I guess with a bankroll it can come off & go to Snider's in Tifton, Ga. Thanks

Caterpillar injector pump discharge. Black circle is threaded outside. Splined inside. I got special tool fits it. Can't turn it with one wrench hooked over end of another. Can't put torch on the ring.
Ring has to come out. Needs O ring under it. Ideas?.View attachment 3021500

I generally only work on my or friends Cummins, but my buddy is a diesel mechanic certified by CaT. He uses a chisel and baby sledge to break those loose as the spline will strip. IIRC, you have to replace bushings and o-rings and it’s best to remove pump to align the rack. No idea if they’re all the same. What model was this on again?

I generally only work on my or friends Cummins, but my buddy is a diesel mechanic certified by CaT. He uses a chisel and baby sledge to break those loose as the spline will strip. IIRC, you have to replace bushings and o-rings and it’s best to remove pump to align the rack. No idea if they’re all the same. What model was this on again?
Thanks, it's an old 1970s D4D dozer. It's been a good old farm dozer, no problem until this leak.

Attachments

• IMG_20201230_151323.jpg
    IMG_20201230_151323.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 6
Thanks, it's an old 1970s D4D dozer. It's been a good old farm dozer, no problem until this leak.

I believe those were torqued to something around 180 ft/lbs if I’m thinking of the correct area. Along with the rust and if that value is correct I can see why it won’t budge. I would try with an impact after soaking heavily with Kroil or something similar and a then a quick burst tightening before trying to loosen. Wish you had a large picture of the entire injection pump.

If I did get it loose will there be stuff come flying out from in there?.

Doesn’t look like it has a cover but I can’t tell from that picture for sure. I honestly have never messed with one of those but I assume the plunger and spring are under there. From that original link I posted the guys say it’s much easier to remove it and reassemble for timing. From what I can gather by the information you provided, it’s a 6N2477 assembly so maybe you can find a complete diagram with that part number. Here is another thread that may help ascertain whether this is up your alley.

https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=485006&DisplayType=nested&setCookie=1

Wish I could be of more help and best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom