• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Can you legally drive on a private rd in georgia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bioshock

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Fellow Traveler
85   0
Reaction score
Does anyone have a link to this "code/law" ?

I am battling with a customer rep. I do work for.

They think I can drive down the private rd to complete an inspection.I dont think I can.

I have been told by someone who lives down the rd not to use it.
--
Added note: It is one drive with multipul houses off it.

Last edited:
It deals with easements and necessity. I stunk at that course in law school. The owner of of the location you are inspecting should have some form of entrance/exit from the parcel. This would likely be an easement if it is landlocked. I know this doesn't help, but basically if you have to cross my property to get somewhere and I tell you no, then you are trespassing if you use it.

IANAL, but have to work on easements sometimes. If there's an easement in place, I think you'd have look at the language on that easement document. I'm betting you can drive on it. If there's a road, it's probably because someone purchased the right to drive across that land. The property owner can't go back and revoke a purchased easement when they feel like it.

Does anyone have a link to this "code/law" ?

I am battling with a customer rep. I do work for.

They think I can drive down the private rd to complete an inspection.I dont think I can.

I have been told by someone who lives down the rd not to use it.
if the owner says not to use it, then dont use it

I live on a private road (which I have an easement to use) and have called the deputy's out several times due to suspicious vehicles parked off of the side. The deputies do come out, check paperwork, and have them leave but do not cite them for trespassing. I can't say I have ever had a repeat offender.
What they have told me is that the law is very specific about how the road must be properly posted "no trespassing" in order to enforce it and the owner of the road has never invested in the proper signs.

For those who didn't know this if the street sign is blue the road is private, green it public.

Call the local sheriff or police and ask .............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom