Buying a pistol for my grandson

Let's muddy the waters a little. Again, these are ones that I have dealt with or witnessed.

1. The LGS gun shop donates a Ruger 10/22, at cost, for a free raffle to be held at the local church. The LGS normally sells that particular 10/22 for $299.99, but they only charged the church the "dealer cost" of $252. A church member wins it. The winner has to complete a 4473, but hasn't paid for anything. The church paid for the 10/22, with a check made out from the account of "First Baptist Church of Pataskala". Who is the purchaser? If you say it's the church, and they have to fill out the 4473, then WHO at the church fills it out?

2. Two buddies walk into the LGS. Guy sees a firearm that he has wanted for a long time. He doesn't have enough cash on him to purchase the firearm, and the shop charges an extra fee for credit card transactions. His buddy loans him the cash to purchase the firearm, with the understanding that he will be paid back as soon as feasible. Who is the purchaser?

3. Two buddies walk into the LGS. Guy sees a firearm that he has wanted for a long time. He doesn't have enough cash on him to purchase the firearm. His buddy has an AmEx, uses it whenever he can because he earns points. Tells his buddy he'll put the firearm on his AmEx, and his buddy can pay the card. Who is the purchaser; the guy whose name is on the card, or the guy that paid the bill?
What I want to know, is what good is a raffle if the tickets are free? Who's holding a raffle where no money is made?

But , to answer your #1 question, the transferee is the buyer of the firearm.

2. The buddy. Straw sale. I'm not toeing that line as an FFL, risking my business over an overzealous ATF agent.
3. Straw Sale.

Grandmother lives in Seattle. Her Grandson lives in Tallahassee. She buys him a firearm for his 21st birthday, from Gunbroker. She has it shipped to the FFL of his choice in Tallahassee. Can he legally complete the 4473 as the purchaser/transferee?
No, he cannot. He was not the purchaser, money was exchanged. He didn't inherit the firearm. If she filled out a 4473, took it home and decided to give it to him, no problem. Ship it to Florida and fill out the 4473.

This seems pretty straightforward but I thought I would run it by you guys. My grandson just turned 21 and express a desire to get into sport shooting. I ordered a pistol from a local dealer. It's supposed to come in this week. If I take my grandson to the store and he fills out the 4473 are there any legal pitfalls. Thanks A

OP, you obviously have a legal concern, and you brought that question to an internet forum full of gun guys. Not the best place to get the answer you seek.

Someone above mentioned asking the FFL that is receiving the firearm how they prefer to handle. That is the best answer that I have seen so far. Put the onus on THEM.

For the most part here, I've been playing Devil's Advocate.

-Pointing out the absurdity of current laws and guidelines

-Highlighting the inconsistencies between interpretations, even (or especially!) when talking to the ATF or attorneys

-Showing the situations aren't always cut n' dried

-Getting folks to stop asking legal advice on a gun forum

This seems pretty straightforward but I thought I would run it by you guys. My grandson just turned 21 and express a desire to get into sport shooting. I ordered a pistol from a local dealer. It's supposed to come in this week. If I take my grandson to the store and he fills out the 4473 are there any legal pitfalls. Thanks A
No.

For the most part here, I've been playing Devil's Advocate.

-Pointing out the absurdity of current laws and guidelines

-Highlighting the inconsistencies between interpretations, even (or especially!) when talking to the ATF or attorneys

-Showing the situations aren't always cut n' dried

-Getting folks to stop asking legal advice on a gun forum
I don't know which is worse on here, legal advice or marriage advice, lol.

Back
Top Bottom