• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Buying a pistol for my grandson

alex4922

Default rank <1250 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
160   0
Reaction score
This seems pretty straightforward but I thought I would run it by you guys. My grandson just turned 21 and express a desire to get into sport shooting. I ordered a pistol from a local dealer. It's supposed to come in this week. If I take my grandson to the store and he fills out the 4473 are there any legal pitfalls. Thanks A

If Alex purchased the firearm online and is having an FFL transfer it, the grandson is not the actual purchaser of the firearm.

I have had this conversation with more ATF agents, and firearms industry attorneys, than I can remember. I stand by my statement.

"I'm buying a pistol for my__________."

is not consistent with

"I won't do the form 4473 or the background check; I'll let the other person do that."

My Suggestion: You sound like the actual buyer of the handgun. You selected it. YOU paid for it.

You arranged what dealership the transfer will take place at.

So be the buyer, publicly. Own it! tell the dealer upfront (if you need to) that you're buying this gun, but you intend to give it away as a gift. A gift to a person who is fully qualified to own handguns under federal and state law.

In my view, that means you would have to check the box that says you are
"the actual purchaser of" the firearm.
Your grandson could not do that on the form 4473.

"I'm buying a pistol for my__________."

is not consistent with

"I won't do the form 4473 or the background check; I'll let the other person do that."

My Suggestion: You sound like the actual buyer of the handgun. You selected it. YOU paid for it.

You arranged what dealership the transfer will take place at.

So be the buyer, publicly. Own it! tell the dealer upfront (if you need to) that you're buying this gun, but you intend to give it away as a gift. A gift to a person who is fully qualified to own handguns under federal and state law.
This is the correct course of action.

Back
Top Bottom