• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Building AR.

blazedawg87

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
198   0
Reaction score
This was brought up in another thread so lets have a dedicated one for this. Many were saying that if a person buys the parts to assemble an AR but another does the actual assembly, the one who preformed the assembly has preformed a felony act.

I just don't see this as true because of this:

1. An individual acquires frames or receivers and assembles firearms for his personal use, not for sale or distribution.

The individual is not manufacturing firearms for sale or distribution and is not required to be a licensed manufacturer.

- And it seems to me the key words here are sale and distribution. If your friend was sitting beside you and you showed them how to assemble the lower and upper then number one your not selling them anything, and you are not distributing anything.
    - What do you all think of this?

no the lower is the manufactured part. A gunsmith is not a manufacturer
edited: a gunsmith can be manufacturer if they make there own lowers

In the ad your referencing, he broke the law even before he put it together.

1. He took a deposit on it and was then going to sell it to him (buying with the intent to sell)
2. Assuming it is proved he bought with the intent to sell(deposit is obvious evidence) by clicking an upper to a lower, he has manufactured an AR and a seller such as your LGS can't put uppers and lowers together without the licences and paying a special tax on them.
3. Plenty of Gunstores garage build AR's without the licences to keep prices down, I have seen this.

For example: CCF is not a manufacturer. He could build up a stripped lower and sell it and an upper to you, but he cannot click the upper to the lower and sell it to you.

Go to a gun store and buy a complete lower, and a complete upper and ask them to put it together for you and see what they say.

ok next time im at one i will. Because you have already bought the parts and they are yours. As long as no money is involved then nothing is happening. I mean what your saying is that your buddy couldn't take your lower and upper apart from each other and then put them back together.

ok next time im at one i will. Because you have already bought the parts and they are yours. As long as no money is involved then nothing is happening. I mean what your saying is that your buddy couldn't take your lower and upper apart from each other and then put them back together.

If YOU buy the parts and have your buddy assemble you're fine. In the case of that thread the BUDDY BOUGHT the parts and took a deposit, he planned to later sell it to the the intended owner. Therefore he unlawfully purchased the weapon with the intent to sell and manufactured a firearm illegally since he intended to sell it.

Go to a gun store and buy a complete lower, and a complete upper and ask them to put it together for you and see what they say.

Bingo Bango :thumb:
They then become a manufacture and without the proper license, and applying the correct FET they are not compliant.

If you hand it to the gunsmith to assemble at the shop he will still need the correct license because of the "manufacturing". This is how it was explained by a field agent though so be sure to double check this.

Last edited:
If YOU buy the parts and have your buddy assemble you're fine. In the case of that thread the BUDDY BOUGHT the parts and took a deposit, he planned to later sell it to the the intended owner. Therefore he unlawfully purchased the weapon with the intent to sell and manufactured a firearm illegally since he intended to sell it.

Yea i understand that part. I didnt notice it in the thread. I was trying to say you do all the assembling but with you receiving zero money and the person who the gun is for buys all the parts and acc.

Bingo Bango :thumb:
They then become a manufacture and without the proper license, and applying the correct FET they are not compliant.

If you hand it to the gunsmith to assemble at the shop he will still need the correct license because of the "manufacturing". This is how it was explained by a field agent though so be sure to double check this.

You ALMOST got it lol.

1. A company receives firearm frames from individual customers, attaches stocks and barrels and returns the firearms to the customers for the customers' personal use.
    The operations performed on the firearms were not for the purpose of sale or distribution. The company should be licensed as a dealer or gunsmith, not as a manufacturer of firearms.

Back
Top Bottom