• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bug Out to the Bug In

I would not want to be seen in the vincinity of an ATM machine in the event of societal upheaval - if they're even working. Make sure your BOB has cash in smaller bills. $20, $20, $5, $1 denominations, some change for vending machines (food and water source) and maybe some 90% silver if you have a long distance to travel.

$100-$200 seems prudent. I'd do more if I were very long distances from home.

cash is good.

If SHTF, it will be more of "taking" or bartering if it lasts longer. gold and silver are good to have on hand as well as cheap alcohol ! I have several bottles of whiskey, cheap vodka, run and tequila as barganing tools (plus for medicinal purposes)

The one thing I think of is how hard it is to turn around in a car, or a 4WD, if you are behind someone and in front of someone at a dead stop. I have a dual-sport motorcycle with hard bags on the sides and top trunk with most of the items listed above already in them. Yes there a a few scenarios that will still hinder even this sort of travel BUT a motorcycle is the only way to get around gridlock. Yes, I am one of those puddin heads that just gets in the left shoulder-lane when things crawl to a stop on 285 and just keeps on truckin until traffic gets back to a reasonable pace, then ease back in at an appropriate time. The antics behind that is a whole separate topic, but, it totally shows me every time that being in a car if/when the SHTF, will be a costly mistake.

Just wanted to add that I know you can't be on a bike every single day, and not all can afford a new bike right now, but to shift things in a manner that will get you on a used highway and off-road capable bike I believe answers the main fear you stated. A good used Kawasaki KLR 650 would run you about $2000-$3000. Or a KLR250, KDX250, DRZ-400, DR650 all would fit the bill. A license is easy to obtain. And yes, a level III vest is a good combination.

The one thing I think of is how hard it is to turn around in a car, or a 4WD, if you are behind someone and in front of someone at a dead stop. The antics behind that is a whole separate topic, but, it totally shows me every time that being in a car if/when the SHTF, will be a costly mistake.

I'd agree with this post completely as far as traffic is concerned... which is why I'm the guy in a F-150 that leaves like 40+ car lengths in front of him in traffic. Saves my brakes and also lets me roll at 20 MPH at my leisure while most of the traffic is between zero and 50 MPH at uncertain intervals. Better for the machine (my vehicle) to continue rolling at a constant pace than to stop and go constantly. Really more day to day advice than SHTF advice, but still valuable in my little opinion.

The one thing I think of is how hard it is to turn around in a car, or a 4WD, if you are behind someone and in front of someone at a dead stop. I have a dual-sport motorcycle with hard bags on the sides and top trunk with most of the items listed above already in them. Yes there a a few scenarios that will still hinder even this sort of travel BUT a motorcycle is the only way to get around gridlock. Yes, I am one of those puddin heads that just gets in the left shoulder-lane when things crawl to a stop on 285 and just keeps on truckin until traffic gets back to a reasonable pace, then ease back in at an appropriate time. The antics behind that is a whole separate topic, but, it totally shows me every time that being in a car if/when the SHTF, will be a costly mistake.

Hope that someone doesn't ever open their door while you're scooting down the "emergency" lane...

One of the scariest end game scenarios is a coordinated simultaneous attack of all major overpasses, bridges, hospitals, schools etc to cripple traffic and cause widespread panic.

One of the scariest end game scenarios is a coordinated simultaneous attack of all major overpasses, bridges, hospitals, schools etc to cripple traffic and cause widespread panic.

And it would.........add to that hits on electric sub-stations, railroad connections, and communication systems and we have instant Dark Ages!!!

Back
Top Bottom