• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bug Out to the Bug In

SIGnificant

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
87   0
Reaction score
This is the scenario that worries me the most...

Something happens that rioting breaks out in urban areas of Atlanta (or any major city) and I am at work when this occurs. As most of us probably spend more time at work than at home (not counting sleep), I see the timing (me being at work) as very likely.

That said, my worry is how I'm going to GET HOME so I can bug in. I don't have a BOL that I can go to, so I'm definitely bugging in. I can tell you that between work and home are areas you would want to go into on a good day, never less any rioting. I remember what a couple of thugs did to an innocent truck driver after the Rodney King deal and don't want to become another YouTube beating, or worse.

So, how do I get home and what should my mini-BOB contain to get me there?
I read in some forum that if it takes you an hour to travel the distance in a car, it could take you days to do the same on foot. And, that's not considering areas you may swing wide on to avoid.

Once I get home, I have all the supplies I need. It's getting home that keeps me awake at night.

I worry about certain big companies like hospitals for those who work in that field, they have policies where they lock the place down and nobody in or out.. how about if one of your family members works in a place like this? And are not permited to go home.

Trying to remember off the top of my head, but my wife and I each have B.O.B.s with:
Food (MRE, Ramen, survival food bars)
Water; purification tabs
Compass and map
Change of clothes and footwear
Weapon, ammo
Flashlight (hand cranked- has radio and recharges cell phone)
Contact info card
Portable tablet stove, canteen cup
Poncho
Emergency shelter
Multi-tool
Some rope
This is stored ina waterproof bag; has a small backpack to carry on the go. It's fairly light.

Last edited:
That scenario is scary as well.

I am not gonna be at work when the election happens next year. If Obama is not re-elected (and I sincerely hope he isn't,) there will be rioting. You can bet on that.

This is simple at best.

1. Have a family plan, a gathering place if need be in case your area is not accessible.
2. Train your family in self defense (firearms, pepper spray, evade etc) and survival
3. Keep a bug out bag for each person in a location at the house in case you have to leave.
4. Do not allow anyone to stop you from reaching your family
5. In civil unrest, people get in your way or try to stop you going home, engage 4WD and keep rolling, remember, you do not have to use streets, sidewalks and cub hopping work just as good

This is simple at best.

1. Have a family plan, a gathering place if need be in case your area is not accessible.
2. Train your family in self defense (firearms, pepper spray, evade etc) and survival
3. Keep a bug out bag for each person in a location at the house in case you have to leave.
4. Do not allow anyone to stop you from reaching your family
5. In civil unrest, people get in your way or try to stop you going home, engage 4WD and keep rolling, remember, you do not have to use streets, sidewalks and cub hopping work just as good

Good advice willr.

My Get Home Bag is simply my everyday carry gear plus a two day supply of food, a full camelback water carrier, a fixed blade knife, a change of socks, an ax handle, a black under armor hoody and 4 extra mags.

My biggest concern is getting my daughter back home from college. She attends school in Virginia and is 6 1/2 hours away by car under normal driving conditions.

The good thing is I have two good friends and their families who live within thirty miles of her school. She has a place of refuge until I can make sure the rest of my family is safe. Once they are safe with my "group", and the condition warrants. I will go, along with a similar situated friend, to our daughters. There is a lot more detail to this plan as to communication, sources of intelligence, alternate routes of travel, alternate modes of transportation, and rendezvous points. No plan is perfect but it is better than no plan at all.

Last edited:
I have a ALICE pack in the trunk of my car. It is filled with pretty much the same stuff as JJ's. Depends on the time of year. I would keep a self defense weapon, some food, water, way to cook food, make fire, extra clothes, good walking shoes, knife, and maybe a tent and/or sleeping system. I live 2 miles from my work. My wife lives about 10. I would go home real quick, grab some other stuff, then head to her work to get her. If car doesn't run, I go get her first, then head home.

I would not want to be seen in the vincinity of an ATM machine in the event of societal upheaval - if they're even working. Make sure your BOB has cash in smaller bills. $20, $20, $5, $1 denominations, some change for vending machines (food and water source) and maybe some 90% silver if you have a long distance to travel.

$100-$200 seems prudent. I'd do more if I were very long distances from home.

Back
Top Bottom