Bug out location

john2

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
2   0
Reaction score
I have been reading a lot of post about survival if SHTF and going to a bug out location. It has sparked an interest in making sure I am prepared. I am confused on one thing, (among many) some people mention going to their bug out location. Why would some one want to leave there home where all of your belongings are including survival gear. I would think there are very very few cases where you would want to leave and only carry what you can on your back or in your car. A person can only carry so much food, ammo, weapons, etc.

If somebody could clear up reasons why a bug out location are necessary and what type of place a bug out location is I would appreciate it.

Most folks that have a bugout location, already have it stocked.

Say you live in SW atlanta. How long are you going to want to stay there? The ideal plan would be to have another property, perhaps in the mountains.

A lot depends on where you are located. I am in a rural to semi rural setting. My BOL is where I live. If I lived in a dense urban setting, I might want to get further away. If someone sets off a dirty bomb at the worlds busiest airport, we might all need to rethink our SHTF plan.

If you're going to travel too far you're better off staying put. The dangers of people on the road is going to be far worse than the people coming to your home.

One of the reasons to consider needing to "bugout" would be in the event of a localized natural disaster where you had some time to relocate till the crisis (hurricane, blizzard, tornadoes, etc.was over.
Historically hotels in neighboring areas fill up quickly... remember the circumstances around Katrina?

Last edited:
Good topic. I have wondered the same thing after reading some threads. I don't see it being an option for me. I'd have to stay put if at all possible. Too much family around to 'bug out". I've got elderly folks and other family to consider. I could see us pooling resources and all getting together in one place. If it was just me and the wife it would be different.

Byrd is right, the idea of a bug out location is somewhere you feel better prepared to defend and survive a SHTF situation. An apartment in midtown may not be as good as a cBin surrounded by 4 miles of woods

ATLEMT and Byrd are 100% correct. If you are in the middle of the city, your chances of survival are slim to none when SHTF. The further outside a major city, the better. Here is some brain food. There are 8 million people in NYC, and less than 35,000 cops. If the SHTF in NYC, who is going to serve and protect?
Protect yourself and your family ahead of time is what I say!

Bug out, bug out... wherever you are! this is why I won't live within 10 miles of 285, or inside it obviously. Not that there's anything wrong with it, it's just not for me. If some stuff went down and the water or power was turned off in ATL, I would not want to be part of the mass exodus. I have 6 more months left on my apartment, then me and the wife are moving some where between cumming and dawsonville. I plan on my home being my BOL. I also have a second location at Lake Hartwell if need be. Get prepared! The end is near. We're all gonna die!!!

As otehr s have said bug out if you can.......the further you are from major cities the better. I have always liked Mel Tappan's advice on retreating. If you have not already done so read his book "Tappan on Survival". It was written in the early 80's but it contains sound and practical info. Chapter 3 - Retreating answers your questions in a clear and succint manner. Spend the $20 and buy it.

Back
Top Bottom