• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Bug Out Bag inventory sugegstions

I have a Kifaru bag and it's size is great for packing alot different things. I can tell you from experience that when it comes to packing MRE's you need to open that main pouch and get rid of the crap you'll never use or give it to someone else in your group, if you are in one. The MRE's as the come take up way to much space and every inch of capacity is an inch and makes a big difference.

Well first of all, forget the shotgun and the AR. That would be best for a bug-in situation. The shotgun for inside the house and the AR, with the longest mag you can get, for sitting on top of your roof. During social unrest, like the LA riots, this tactic worked 100% for dissuading potential looters from even entertaining the thought of looting those homes or businesses displaying this sort of weaponry. An assault rifle, on a roof, with a 30-50 mag is a massive deterrent.

The weapon you have on your profile picture is perfect for a BO situation. I didn't look that close but appears to be a 3" sub-compact with a 12 round mag. I think too many of us are more focused on the guns as opposed to something you can hydrate or nourish yourself with. Yes, protection is VERY, VERY important and a mighty equalizer. A .40, a .45 or a dam .380 for that matter will serve this purpose. Getting shot in the forehead at 5 feet by a .380 will accomplish this end. You can-not drink, or eat a weapon. You can use it to KEEP your food and water though, from the grasp of those that only thought about weaponry.

For the BOB suggestion, very simple: Sustenance, shelter, protection. Here is my humble list.

1. A medium to large Camelback backpack. Even the biggest Camelback, from what I have seen, is more than manageable. When you pass a stream or other source, fill up.

2. A Catadyn (Kah-Taa-Din, named after the mountain), or similar water filter or purifier.

3. A generation III Thermarest (spendy but probably the best money you could invest), keeps you warm and you could sleep like a baby on a pile of rocks. GIII is teeeeny when packed.

4. A outer Gor-Tex shell from a ECWS (Extreme Cold Weather System for those unfamiliar) sleeping bag system. You can get them for around $40 on ebay if your patient. Any Gor-Tex bivy sack will do but I find once the word "Bivy" is attached, the price goes up substantially. A one man tent is good but too big for a personal pack, if you intend on bringing the rest of the items on this list.

5. A 15 degree DOWN bag like a Marmot Sawtooth or similar, in a DRY compression bag. This kind of bag compresses to the size of one of those big-gulp soda cups the sell at the QT. The key here is the DRY compression sack and that Gor-Tex ECWS bivy. Down will compress to unbelievably small size but if it gets wet you will loose ALL of its insulating qualities. 15 degrees is plenty for most weather here in GA. IF you believe you need more, get a silk sleeping bag liner, it will add 15 degrees or so, bringing you down to zero. The silk liners are tiny.

6. A dry bag with an air valve (like one on a thermarest) allowing you to squeeze all the air out to make small…on the inside: polypropylene ONLY ie: quickdry– 2pairs ea. Undies, socks, pants shirts. Yes, all this fits into about a 7” x 12” bag described. 6’ of para-cord, 8 clothespins and a hotel size bar of soap. You will have clear cloths until you run out of soap. One set on your ass and one set hanging up at night. After you wash them, they will be dry in the morning.

7. High-calorie bars. Plenty of them. Commercial bars usually only go up to a few hundred calories. Survival food sites usually have high calorie bars with much higher numbers. Were not going for gourmet, we're going for sustenance.
8. Small survival style fishing setup that will fit in a pocket of your pack.

9. Medical kit with Neosporin, alcohol preps, 2x2's, 4x4's, Ibuprofen and all those leftover antibiotics you never finished despite your doctors orders.

10. Leatherman.

11. One of those small plastic shovels that are usually orange.

12. Vaseline coated cotton-balls, a fire-starter & lighter, for immediate fire starting when wet conditions are present. Ccheetos also work but will attract animals and you’ll probably eat those fire-starters when hungry.

13. 50-100 rounds.

14. A backup sub compact pistol of the same exact caliber and brand of the one that should never leave your hip as for mag compatibility.

15. Additional items if so desired > duct tape taken off the roll and folded onto itself in a 2" flat, pocket-rocket style stove about the size of a pack of cigs, a multi-fuel cell, one of the bowls from a small mess kit, chop sticks or a spoon. A fork will trap food between the tines and can make you very, very sick as bacterium makes a playground on your fork. TP taken off the roll and put in a zip lock bag, unzip about 1” and suck the air out.

16. A Special Forces Survival Guide. Putting it in a freezer ziplock is a good idea. This will allow you to know what to do with the rest of the stuff in your bag to keep you alive.

Now. Your possibly saying “no way that is all fitting in your pack”. I am here to tell you mine has more than what is on this list but I wanted to keep it to the top 15, which went to 16. And I still cheated as number 15 has more than one item along with a few other numbers on this list. The key is to remember that you are not spending your money. You are investing you r money. So just allocate your investment into buying micro, and ultra-light gear.

I keep my Gor-tex (and do not skimp with some alternative) ECWS Parka, pants and boots right next to BOB(I call it my GTFO bag) and right by the door I intend on leaving through. I also recommend having a set of your poly/quick-dry clothing in that same closet, in a duffel. You get to that door and strip whatever the heck cotton BS you have on and get into your quick-dry along with your goretex even if it is not cold. You can tie it to your bag later and if it starts to rain, or is raining your efforts will not be haltered. Make sure to also have any important papers and stuff that does not like water in dry bags or zip-locks.

…..IMHO

Back
Top Bottom