• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Bug Out Bag inventory sugegstions

This is my GHB/BOB. I'm bugging in, so the theory is to be able to get home with the contents. 75% or more of my time is spent within 40 miles of home.

CamelBak Motherlode

Gloves
Toilet paper
Firesteel
Bic lighter
Altoid tin w/ vaso-balls
Spork
50' para-cord
Hot Hands
Stay Alert caffeine gum
Bible
Playing cards
Maglite 2xAA LED (+ 2xAA batts)

Thermolite bivvy sack
AMK Ultralite FAK
Knee brace
Ankle brace

Poncho
Antibacterial/Antimicrobial handwipes (bath in a bag...lol)
SureFire G2 LED (+2x123a batts)
Maglite 2xAA LED
Gerber multi-tool
CRKT M16-13KZ (I think...)
Pens/Pencils/Journal
Maps of my AO/Compass

Mountain House Beef Stew (x2)
Tuna foil packet (x2)
Cliff Bars (x4)
Instant coffee
Datrex 3600 calorie emergency rations (x2)

Plastic tarp (for shelter)
Khaki cargo pants
Shirt
Boxers (x2)
Socks (x2 pair)

3L water bladder
1L platypus bottles (x2 unfilled)
Katahdin MicroPur water purification tabs (x12)
Mora knife + sheath
Becker BK2 Campanion knife + sheath

Coleman max mess kit
Coleman blended fuel canister
MSR Pocket Rocket stove
Matches

60rds 9mm JHP (20rds of which are loaded in mags and pistol)
Kahr PM9 6+1 9mm in mag
Kahr 6rd mag
Kahr 7rd pinky rest mag

I still need a few things, such as a decent hat, bandanna, etc. Feel free to critique, point out items needed/missing/redundant (I know I'm knife and flashlight heavy...). I need to get a weight on the bag too...

Last edited:
Looting might not be the best idea. What would you do if the SHTF and you went out to hunt for dinner and you came home to people diggin around your stuff? People usually don't take to kind to looters.

I would blast them... just like someone that caught me looting around their stuff would TRY and blast me... which is doubtful since I would be with my sniper (also a member on the forum) and a couple others. If we came back to our home and people were looting, we would clean up any straglers that the wives did take out (doubtful any would remain). THat also fixes the dinner issue for a week or so. what? did I really imply that? haha

as far as looting... it is "survival of the fitest" as most would agree. If I need something for me and mine to survive, then anyone who gets in the way of that is merely a speed bump to be dealt with a 3 pound pull.

of course... this is based upon the SHTF scenario where the world will never go back to what it was or at least not in several hundred years. I am talking Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas style end of the world.

if someone nukes atlanta, I will hunker down, wait for the NG to restore order, then continue on as normal.

Last edited:
This is meant to get me from where ever I am in the Metro Atlanta area to my sanctuary location on foot. My wife and two daughters keep the same in their cars at all times. The waterproof bag is strapped to the pack and everything in the overnight bag gets put on when leaving the car. The ladies do not have the tactical vest or long gun. It's to much weight. Each of them does have a 1911 with plenty of extra mags and they are very proficient with it.

Go Bag Equipment List

PACK
Flap Pouch: ASP
Flap Pouches 1, 2 and 3.
Sun Block, Camp Soap, Hand Sanitizer, Rolaids, Triple Antibiotic Ointment, Toothpaste, Toothbrush, Insect Repellent, Salt, Pepper.
Flap Pouch 4.
Light line, Water Purification Tablets, Nicoret, Listerine Strips, Waterproof Matches, Aluminum Foil, Lighter, Whistle, Antibiotic Pills, Six AA Batteries, Four 3v 123 Batteries.
Flap Pouch 5.
Six food Bars.
Flap Pouch 6.
Pruning Shears, Light Stick, Saw, Emergency Blanket, Extra Candle, Collapsible Cup.

Main Pouch.
Water, Water Purifier, Pistol Cleaning Kit, Break Free, Gun Lube, .22 Snake, Candle Light, Stove, Fire Starter Sticks, Field Wipes, Cards, Ziplock Bags, Advil, Vitamins, Prilosec, Imodium, Hat, Two Pair Light Socks, Two Pair Warm Socks, Two Pair Underwear, Para Cord, Pistol Pouch, 1911, Drop Holster.

Right Side Inner Pouch.
First Aid Kit, Map, Compass, Knife Sharpener, Surefire Flashlight, Five Bic Lighters.

Right Side Outer Pouch.
Small Tactical Knife, Night Vision.

Left Side Inner Pouch.
AR Iron Sight, Stove Fuel.

Left Side Outer Pouch.
Tactical Gloves, Mini Mag Light.

Strapped To Bottom.
Bed Roll.
One Man Tent.

Overnight Bag

Main Pouch.
1911, Hat, Suspenders, Belt.

Tactical Vest:
Top Left = Leatherman, Camo Face Paint.
Top Left Pistol = Six 8 round 1911 mags.
Far Left Rifle = Two 30 Round AR 15 Mags / Ballistic Tip.
Mid and Near Left Rifle = Four 30 Round AR 15 Mags / TAP.
Top Right = Binoculars.
Far, Mid and Near Right Rifle = Six 30 Round AR 15 Mags/Penetrator.
Left Belt = Mag Pouch w/Two 8 round 1911 mags, Tactical Knife.
Right Belt = Mag Pouch w/Two 8 round 1911 mags.

Small Side Pouch.
Equipment List, Uniform, Three Pens.

Waterproof Bag.
Rain Gear, Light Jacket, Six Freeze-dried Entrees, Four Freeze-dried Breakfasts, Extra Straps, Mess Kit, Magnesium Fire Starter.

Rifle Case.
AR with single point sling, 1.25 to 4 power illuminated scope, light and laser.

holy crap... if its anything like fallout 3 you will not be able to walk fast or jump! lol

I have long searched for the perfect balance in a BOB/Emergency Pack. Right now I use a Milsurp Camelbak Mule. It's just under 20 lbs. fully loaded. I have pared down several times, and beleve I have gone too far.

My load right now is;
milsurp poncho
25' 550 cord x2
25' 1/4 braided rope
milsurp mess kit
stainless steel spork
Gerber Gator combo ax/knife
USAF survival knife w/ sheath and sharpening stone
compass
survival whistle w/ compass and match storage (waterproof)
Max Deet bugspray
Bug bite goo (rub it on, sting goes away)
Comprehesive First aid Kit
Fire Steel
bic lighter
vaseline coated cotton balls
SOG ParaTool (one of the first multitools, very simple, VERY heavy duty)
water bladder

Seperatly in my work van:
S&W M12 w/ belt holster.
48 rounds of +P .38 Spl
1 liter water bottle
small bag w/ spare socks, underwear, pants, shirt
med. weight jacket
spare meds

On my person:
pocket knife
Ruger LCR
speed strip w/ 5 rounds +P .38
wallet, ID, cash, etc.
flashlight

Very rarely do I work anywhere near home. I live 50 miles from Atlanta and am usually down there at least twice a week. My first inclination, should normal society head south is to drive as far as I can. Should I need to dismount and walk, then the pack comes out, gets some gear will go on my person, pack get reconfigured, and I hop on the shoe leather express.

I realize that I have some redundant items, ie. ax/survival knife. Both have a specific purpose and I feel that having both is worth the extra space and weight.

I also realize that I have neglected some important items, ie. water purification, and my personal woobie, 9 hour candle lantern :)

Looks like the search for another pack will be forthcoming, as this one is stuffed.

Wheeler

I hear you on the pack size, mine is about to burst and I already feel it is too large. I want to keep it in my car and that means keeping it as compact as possible, but you can only pare down a pack so much before you start removing vital things. I guess that depends on what you consider "vital" though :)

What are you planning for food, any ideas? I'm guessing since you arent packing spare clothes you are more about getting home in one piece than comfort, but some long undies in the winter could (literally) be a life saver. Something to consider.

This is my GHB/BOB. I'm bugging in, so the theory is to be able to get home with the contents. 75% or more of my time is spent within 40miles of home.

CamelBak Motherlode

Gloves
Firesteel
Bic lighter
Altoid tin w/ vaso-balls
Spork
50' para-cord
Hot Hands
Stay Alert caffeine gum
Bible
Playing cards
Maglite 2xAA LED (+ 2xAA batts)

Thermolite bivvy sack
AMK Ultralite FAK
Knee brace
Ankle brace

Poncho
Antibacterial/Antimicrobial handwipes (bath in a bag...lol)
SureFire G2 LED (+2x123a batts)
Maglite 2xAA LED
Gerber multi-tool
CRKT M16-13KZ (I think...)
Pens/Pencils/Journal
Maps of my AO/Compass

Mountain House Beef Stew (x2)
Tuna foil packet (x2)
Cliff Bars (x4)
Instant coffee
Datrex 3600 calorie emergency rations (x2)

Plastic tarp (for shelter)
Khaki cargo pants
Shirt
Boxers (x2)
Socks (x2 pair)

3L water bladder
1L platypus bottles (x2 unfilled)
Katahdin MicroPur water purification tabs (x12)
Mora knife + sheath
Becker BK2 Campanion knife + sheath

Coleman max mess kit
Coleman blended fuel canister
MSR Pocket Rocket stove
Matches

60rds 9mm JHP (20rds of which are loaded in mags and pistol)
Kahr PM9 6+1 9mm in mag
Kahr 6rd mag
Kahr 7rd pinky rest mag

I still need a few things, such as a decent hat, bandanna, etc. Feel free to critique, point out items needed/missing/redundant (I know I'm knife and flashlight heavy...). I need to get a weight on the bag too...

Thanks man, this is a nice list, gave me some ideas. I'll bet that pack is pretty full too (its about the size of my 3DAP and I have about the same amount of stuff). After our recent trip to the Cohutta and not bringing anything besides the essentials something along the lines of playing cards or a pocket electronic game is totally going in my pack.

I would blast them... just like someone that caught me looting around their stuff would TRY and blast me... which is doubtful since I would be with my sniper (also a member on the forum) and a couple others. If we came back to our home and people were looting, we would clean up any straglers that the wives did take out (doubtful any would remain). THat also fixes the dinner issue for a week or so. what? did I really imply that? haha

as far as looting... it is "survival of the fitest" as most would agree. If I need something for me and mine to survive, then anyone who gets in the way of that is merely a speed bump to be dealt with a 3 pound pull.

of course... this is based upon the SHTF scenario where the world will never go back to what it was or at least not in several hundred years. I am talking Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas style end of the world.

if someone nukes atlanta, I will hunker down, wait for the NG to restore order, then continue on as normal.

o_0

Not including your LBV thats probably a 45-50lbs pack. With LBV and ammo, probably closer to 70. Just wondering if you know what its like to carry 70lbs on your back for a few days, and if your wimminz know what its like to carry 50lbs on theirs. Its no walk in the park (pardon the pun). Forgive me for jumping to conclusions, but unless you are in the best shape of your life and regularly practice forced ruck marches with a full load, youre in for a rude awakening. Ranger schools and SF selection target 35-55lbs MAX for ruck marches. These are designed to break you.

Also keep in mind the more you carry, the slower you go. You will need to carry more food, water, clothes to compensate, which means more weight, which means a longer trip, so more food, water, etc. You get the idea, everything is a trade off for weight.

Just a suggestion obviously, but you could pare that pack down a LOT and not sacrifice very much at all. You have a lot of redundancy going on, and some things you probably wont need for a 4-5 day mission.

Camp Soap, Hand Sanitizer, Field Wipes - Could replace all of these with a medium-sized pack of antibacterial wipes

Rolaids, Prilosec, Imodium - Do you need all three?

Triple Antibiotic Ointment, Antibiotic Pills, Advil, Vitamins, First Aid Kit - Redundant, some not needed really (do you NEED vitamins and antibiotics?)

Toothpaste, Listerine Strips - Again, redundant

Waterproof Matches, Lighter, Five Bic Lighters, Magnesium Fire Starter - ""

Pistol Cleaning Kit, Break Free, Gun Lube, .22 Snake - """

Small Tactical Knife, Leatherman, Tactical Knife - """"

I think you get the idea. To top it off, your carrying twice the normal combat load in ammo. 12 AR mags, really? Again, sorry to be nitpicky, but are you planning to trek through Fallujah on your way home? If you need 360 rounds of 5.56 and 80 rounds of .45 you picked the wrong route, period.

Actually, the amounts of the items you mention are very small and the pack itself does not weigh that much. The vest is what adds a lot of weight because of the ammo. The idea is that, depending on the situation, I may need the ammo most when I first start on foot. If that is not the situation and I can get going on a selected secure rout, I will abandon a lot of the ammo. I train with this load in the mountains regularly and it works for me. I am 6'4" and load weight is relative to your size. Also, look closely at the items you say are redundant and think about their differences. OK, I'll admit that I'm very redundant about fire, but.....it's fire. An example of items that are not really redundant are things like the toothpaste and Listerine strips. The strips are very good to address head congestion and I think that used early enough they reduce the long term effect of cold viruses. The meds are just a few pills each in a single small bottle and can make a real difference. Remember that, unlike a military mission, you are not going to have great medical support after a relatively short mission, so prevention and early effective treatment will be crucial to long term survival. Same is true of the vitamins. The same is true of your weapons, preventive care is key.

Also, relatively slow, dark and quiet is the plan for movement. Most will be at night.

Just wondering. Do you plan on carrying the pack, overnight bag, waterproof bag, and rifle case all at the same time? I'm trying to stick to about 45lbs in my pack, that doesn't include my rifle. I don't think I would make it 2 miles with your stuff and i play soccer twice a week. You must be in prime condition to hump all that stuff. I see the nicorette gum, you smoke also? that's gonna make it harder to carry all that.

The items in the overnight bag and rifle case get put on at the car before I leave it. Then the overnight bag and rifle case get left behind. The waterproof bag gets strapped to the pack. It's a bit bulky, but light. The nicorette is because nicotine will help keep me sharp on minimal sleep. This is an old and effective trick and does not have the "crash" side of things like caffeine. The weight of the pack is not as much as you think because of the small amount of the different items in it and careful consideration of the weight of each item chosen. The ammo in the vest is the issue, but as soon as I see that I don't need it and am in an area that I think will be a reasonably secure rout to my sanctuary, I will abandon a lot of it. The most unsure time will be just after the need to abandon the vehicle because I will not have a lot of choice of where and when that happens, so there could be the need for substantial firepower up front. Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Holy Crap!......How much does some of y'alls pack weight?!?!?!?

I try keep my pack under 80LBS, and then when I can take it I would have my side pouch with 3 extra Ak mags with one in the rifle and 500rnds in the pack, My Glock and 4 mags (52 rounds) and an extra 100 rounds in the pack...so like 20 lbs give or take of my pack is ammo, and the other 60 or so is ESSENTIAL gear, forget all the "Nice to haves" or "luxury" I just want to make it where I am trying to get to....

Oh and just a heads up....Actually put it in a backpack, preferably an a good external frame pack....I see SO MANY guys on youtube showing their BOBs and all they have is like a damn Duffle bag.....You ever tried to Hump a duffle bag 20 miles a day. It ain't comfy! If nothing else at least use a good internal frame bag.....I prefer external cause you can tie more stuff on to the frame directly if needed....

Also another consideration: I carry two extra Book bags in case I am with someone when the SHTF, that way we can share the load and make it easier on everyone...

Nothing. There is not anything in there that is illegal. I dont mean a car trunk either! LOL . Its a big luggage trunk. Would be cool to keep it in the trunk though ;)

Oh I was like dang! Thats a lot of stuff in the trunk, for some reason I picture you driving like a Honda Delsol or Civic........lol

My pack, with a waterproof bag, small one man tent and light sleeping bag strapped to the outside of it weighs in at 43lbs. My LBV is where I keep all of the ammo and, as I said in previous posts, I can trim it's weight as the situation allows. Either I won't need so much ammo or I will. Either way, the LBV will get lighter fast.

The book bags are a very good idea, wish I had thought of it. Not only could they help carry the load, but they might be able to grab some stuff of their own.

Back
Top Bottom