• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

BRKG 7/23: Shooting At Movie Theater in Lafayette, LA

I expected this thread to be in the boiler room. I may get scolded for this.

Here is a story from 2013 that didn't get any coverage from the "national media"

http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnew...an-antonio-theater-shooting-the-media-ignored

If you dont want to read the whole story this one paragraph pretty well sums it up. I added the bold text.

"But the national media ignored this story, even though the shooting occurred just two days after the Newtown shooting. It wasn't just a case that (thankfully) no one was killed in the San Antonio incident. Very likely, no one was killed because of the timely intervention of the armed off-duty officer. (well trained armed citizen) If the media were honestly looking for solutions to gun violence, they should have jumped on the San Antonio to show the difference a good person with a gun can make. But they didn't, apparently because it does not fit the narrative that the mainstream media promote — that is, that guns cause violence rather than prevent it."

http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/sanantonio.asp
I remember when this happened and was furious but not surprised when MSM didn't touch it.

I think the SSRIs are a total red herring .... they are just implicated because they are often in use when you are talking about people with serious anxiety, paranoia etc already.
I took Zoloft for about two years about 10 years ago before an actual smart doctor realized that my OCD/anxiety was just caused by a B12 deficiency and fixed it with one shot of a vitamin monthly instead of drugs ... In my case I wasn't crazy or violent or anything I just had serious OCD and it made me worry about things too much .... These drugs don't make you angry and want to hurt people, at best they go the opposite and make you dispassionate about things and not dwell on the things that bother you .... not psycho. Being psycho makes you psycho :D

I think the meds could be part of the problem. There's definitely a link to SSRI's and mass shooters.

Last edited:
I think the SSRIs are a total red herring .... they are just implicated because they are often in use when you are talking about people with serious anxiety, paranoia etc already.
I took Zoloft for about two years about 10 years ago before an actual smart doctor realized that my OCD/anxiety was just caused by a B12 deficiency and fixed it with one shot of a vitamin monthly instead of drugs ... These drugs don't make you angry and want to hurt people, at best they go the opposite and make you dispassionate about things .... not psycho. Being psycho makes you psycho :D
Good point, but you have to also remember drugs have different affects on different people. To me it is alarming that some of the inserts for the drugs warn that some of the potential side effects are suicidal tendencies and violent thoughts.

I've never read one that said violent thoughts but the suicidal tendencies totally make sense if you take it in the context of what I said though .... if you are dispassionate and just don't care about stuff as strongly as you did before one of those things could include yourself .... a lot of people that you talk to that have tried to commit suicide aren't doing it out of depths of depression where they hate themselves their mindset is often one that their life just doesn't matter so what is the point in them being around ...

Good point, but you have to also remember drugs have different affects on different people. To me it is alarming that some of the inserts for the drugs warn that some of the potential side effects are suicidal tendencies and violent thoughts.

Saving for the days that I have to travel to CA or NY for work I don't think that I've gone a single day without carrying since I left rural Nebraska 8 years ago.
We were in a very safe little bubble there where there wasn't even any property crime to speak of. It helped that everyone had work, the only drugs where we
were was pot or alcohol and even the cities near us were mostly all <50k ... this isn't why I didn't carry mind you .... but until the year I moved away concealed carry permits weren't even available there.

Gonna have to start packing more. This is getting ridiculous.

Saving for the days that I have to travel to CA or NY for work I don't think that I've gone a single day without carrying since I left rural Nebraska 8 years ago.
We were in a very safe little bubble there where there wasn't even any property crime to speak of. It helped that everyone had work, the only drugs where we
were was pot or alcohol and even the cities near us were mostly all <50k ... this isn't why I didn't carry mind you .... but until the year I moved away concealed carry permits weren't even available there.
I don't think I could go to CA or NY. How strict are the gun laws in NE?

Media... plain and simple.

With nothing but the Aurora killer's trial in the news, it was pretty predictable that there would be a copycat.

Nebraska is basically the wild west .... everywhere but omaha. It was legal to carry a gun in your car or on your person just never concealed. Basically every truck had a loaded up gun rack the whole time I lived there. (unless you go somewhere like omaha that was 2.5 hours from where I lived but no self respecting nebraskan ever goes there)

It's tough working from home for big silicon valley tech companies and never going to the bay area and lots of tech conferences and stuff end up in NYC ;)

I don't think I could go to CA or NY. How strict are the gun laws in NE?

Last edited:
I honestly don't know. My point was that (1) there are plenty of shootings in gun-free zones, and (2) there are still plenty of people that carry in gun-free zones. While I agree that they are useless, it's also useless to pretend an incident would not have occurred had it not been in a gun-free zone. People actually complying with gun-free zones as in the Chattanooga and Sandy Hook shootings certainly makes people more vulnerable.

However, the base Marine Commander and at least one enlisted Marine (one of the dead) violated federal law and had personal weapons and employed them.

Police aren't talking, aren't taking credit for taking the dead tango and reports that those that died were charging the tango drawing fire away from an innocent group.

A decently trained man can accurately shoot about one round per second. A typical armed response takes a couple of seconds. They might shoot 3-5 but 3 armed men responding will typically end this one tango with repetition.

It appears two Marines disobeying "lawful" orders accomplished it. The details aren't being discussed as surely the coroners report is done by now. A Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request will likely be required as Marines disobeying lawful orders, arming themselves, preventing further bloodshed is NOT WHAT this administration wants the public or military to be aware of.

We the armed citizenry are the threat...

Back
Top Bottom