• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Biggest fish or creature in the wild YOU ever saw ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read it here on the "interweb" it has to be true!

Dimon-State-Farm.jpg

The story about the divers COULD be fake, it could be TRUE, they could have created the DOCUMENT to invigorate tourism. I know what I read, we didn't have websites like "snopes" to look up everything for us.
I still say it's still the same trouble makers showing their childlike tendencies again. You like to look up facts, look back threads, I've been doing it. It's the same people coming into threads just to start an argument.

Or.....we recognize BS when we see it (even if you don't) and call it out. If you consider people that require extraordinary evidence for extraordinary claims "trouble makers" well, OK then. You should love Area 51. Check it out and enjoy. Note that your thread has already been moved there, so it's not just us "trouble makers" that think this claim is pretty silly.

BTW, welcome to the ODT.

I read it here on the "interweb" it has to be true!

3 way tie for me:
Humpback whale in Alaska, up close.
School of Orca's in Alaska, 50-100 feet off the port side of a cruise ship for miles.
Mama June in McIntyre Wal-Mart a mile away.

Who wants pictures of #3? :)

P.S. Bald eagles flying around in Alaska like a "regular bird" was jaw-dropping!
Big for a bird, and just majestic, I remember it like it was yesterday and it was 15 years ago...

I'm going off subject but you reminded me about something I saw on Nat Geo a couple of years ago about Killer Whales that I found fascinating. Someone documented on video an encounter with an Orca and big Great White shark off Farralon Islands west of San Fransisco . The Killer Whale rammed the hell out of the shark in it's gills, stunning the shark. The Orca bit the shark and manueverd it so the shark was upside down and just held it in place. I'm not sure if this is specific to Great Whites, but when flipped upside down the shark releases a chemical in it's brain that makes it completely docile, I guess some form of paralyzation. At that point the Orca just waited until the shark suffocated, then started chowing it.

The other fascinating point to this was that the other Graet Whites around Farralon sensed the blood of a "brother" Great White, and left the area completely. If you get a chance to see it, check it out - fascinating stuff. It's probably somewhere on YouTube.

Don't mess with a Killer Whale.

Or.....we recognize BS when we see it (even if you don't) and call it out. If you consider people that require extraordinary evidence for extraordinary claims "trouble makers" well, OK then. You should love Area 51. Check it out and enjoy. Note that your thread has already been moved there, so it's not just us "trouble makers" that think this claim is pretty silly.

BTW, welcome to the ODT.

you must be one-a them thar Troublemakers I hear-ed about...

:twitch:

Well, I've got one for you....NOT documented, but I saw it with my own two eyes! On Okinawa Japan, 1988, at dusk, while pulling into Kadena airbase off the main highway, in my rusted out Honda Civic, with the sunroof open....I'm running about 25 to 30 miles an hour, and flying just above the power lines in the same direction, and at close to the same speed as me....Was a bat. Not just ANY bat, this thing had to be 6 feet wingtip to wingtip. It flew right in my field of view for about 1/2 a mile, then turned off towards the hills. It was a Fruitbat, or commonly called the Flying Fox. They were prevalent there, and got pretty big. There was a weird fruit tree just outside of the WM's barracks that they slept in during the day. You could walk right up to them for pics as long as you were quiet. Keep in mind, when they take flight, they drop off the limb quite a distance before their wings can get enough lift for flight. If you made any noise, 50 or so would take flight, and SCARE THE HELL out of you! They are beautiful animals with an eerie urban legend...No snopes, no Wikipedia, no pics, no documentation...Just my memories...

bat.jpg

Last edited:
I'm going off subject but you reminded me about something I saw on Nat Geo a couple of years ago about Killer Whales that I found fascinating. Someone documented on video an encounter with an Orca and big Great White shark off Farralon Islands west of San Fransisco . The Killer Whale rammed the hell out of the shark in it's gills, stunning the shark. The Orca bit the shark and manueverd it so the shark was upside down and just held it in place. I'm not sure if this is specific to Great Whites, but when flipped upside down the shark releases a chemical in it's brain that makes it completely docile, I guess some form of paralyzation. At that point the Orca just waited until the shark suffocated, then started chowing it.

The other fascinating point to this was that the other Graet Whites around Farralon sensed the blood of a "brother" Great White, and left the area completely. If you get a chance to see it, check it out - fascinating stuff. It's probably somewhere on YouTube.

Don't mess with a Killer Whale.

I saw that. That was a smart orca.

Largest animal I've ever seen is my ex-mother in law. Approaching from the south side could lead you to believe you were in the presence of a rare White Rhino.

Whale sharks (not a whale but the largest fish on the planet) have small throats and could not even swallow a human...not to mention, they are one of the most docile creatures on earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom