• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

BIG LAZER RANGE

My son and I shoot at Big Lazer. I am an old phart; so it is free for me. My son went online and bought a fishing license to shoot there legally. As already stated, you can shoot out to 100 yards or so; but you will need to take your own targets and stands. We've never been there when more than 2-3 firing points were in use. My Verizon cell service is iffy from the range. Don't wash your vehicle just prior to going. The entrance road is unpaved and dusty for a couple of miles.

Yep. In Macon/Bibb there is an excellent "Sheriff's Department Range" out near the airport, just a few miles from our gun club. David Davis is so anti 2A the he won't allow his own deputies to use the range on their off time. So, they join our club if they don't have a place to shoot. I'm glad they come out. Just seems stupid that he doesn't trust his own men and women.
Being from Oklahoma, I have several friends that are in law enforcement, the state troopers (Highway Patrol) used to use the Scrap Club (gun club) for their yearly weapons qualification. I have participated in these qualifications with my buddy...I was dumbfounded by the lack of competency in shooting! I watched badged, active duty, patrolmen that were unable to put three rounds on the paper at 50 yards with a rifle shooting offhand (when the range officer questioned the guy he said that he had installed a new optic and hadn't sighted it in - the rifle was his duty rifle! The RO ended up doing an impromtu training session on how to sight in a scope! In speaking with some of the guys afterwards, they admitted that they seldom shoot their rifle OR pistol because they are only provided (1) box of pistol rounds for training - per quarter. It blows my mind that someone would carry a weapon and not feel the need to be proficient with it, let alone have a duty weapon that hadn't even been sighted in!

Being from Oklahoma, I have several friends that are in law enforcement, the state troopers (Highway Patrol) used to use the Scrap Club (gun club) for their yearly weapons qualification. I have participated in these qualifications with my buddy...I was dumbfounded by the lack of competency in shooting! I watched badged, active duty, patrolmen that were unable to put three rounds on the paper at 50 yards with a rifle shooting offhand (when the range officer questioned the guy he said that he had installed a new optic and hadn't sighted it in - the rifle was his duty rifle! The RO ended up doing an impromtu training session on how to sight in a scope! In speaking with some of the guys afterwards, they admitted that they seldom shoot their rifle OR pistol because they are only provided (1) box of pistol rounds for training - per quarter. It blows my mind that someone would carry a weapon and not feel the need to be proficient with it, let alone have a duty weapon that hadn't even been sighted in!
I have observed LEO quals and been properly horrified at the general lack of proficiency with duty guns. It is the main reason why I will not sit in a restaurant with lots of poleece and I tend to shy away from crowds of them in public, just in case something was to "pop off." I don't want to get shot by anyone much less someone with qualified immunity.

Back
Top Bottom