• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

BIG LAZER RANGE

Great idea but you'll need property that almost no one would want, in a location where nearby development is unlikely and establish yourself as a "shooting range" for a year so you'd be somewhat protected by the 2014 state law.

Moving dirt is expensive.

I think the best way is to establish the range legally before the area is incorporated and developed. Get in good with the local PD, offer them range benefits, etc. As you know, a city cannot create a law that expressly outlaws a range; they must have a grandfather clause.

As for land, there's no such thing as unwanted land. A developer will buy the worst swamp land and turn it into a super mall. Personally, I'd like to find a nice farm with plenty land so no city can say anything about what occurs on the property. It could be used for more than just shooting. Event hosting (like weddings), campsites, off-roading, horseback riding if anyone has horses, movie set rental, renting to instructors, hosting courses for LE departments, etc. So many possibilities.

I think the best way is to establish the range legally before the area is incorporated and developed. Get in good with the local PD, offer them range benefits, etc. As you know, a city cannot create a law that expressly outlaws a range; they must have a grandfather clause.

As for land, there's no such thing as unwanted land. A developer will buy the worst swamp land and turn it into a super mall. Personally, I'd like to find a nice farm with plenty land so no city can say anything about what occurs on the property. It could be used for more than just shooting. Event hosting (like weddings), campsites, off-roading, horseback riding if anyone has horses, movie set rental, renting to instructors, hosting courses for LE departments, etc. So many possibilities.
There's land out there that is unsuitable for anything other than light agricultural. It is not highly sought after.

Yeah, that's the problem. I don't understand why more cities don't have more outdoor ranges. Especially each Police Dept. It's a great source of revenue/ taxes, brings 2A awareness, gives police a place to train, teaches kids about firearms safety. And being outdoor there's hardly any cost associated with it. Cities always have land granted to them that just sits and wastes away. There's a ton of pros to having a range.

Yeah, that's the problem. I don't understand why more cities don't have more outdoor ranges. Especially each Police Dept. It's a great source of revenue/ taxes, brings 2A awareness, gives police a place to train, teaches kids about firearms safety. And being outdoor there's hardly any cost associated with it. Cities always have land granted to them that just sits and wastes away. There's a ton of pros to having a range.
You forget that govt usually is anti-gun for everyone except them. Especially police forces. The individual cop may be pro-2A . :laser:

You forget that govt usually is anti-gun for everyone except them. Especially police forces. The individual cop may be pro-2A . :laser:
Yep. In Macon/Bibb there is an excellent "Sheriff's Department Range" out near the airport, just a few miles from our gun club. David Davis is so anti 2A the he won't allow his own deputies to use the range on their off time. So, they join our club if they don't have a place to shoot. I'm glad they come out. Just seems stupid that he doesn't trust his own men and women.

Great idea but you'll need property that almost no one would want, in a location where nearby development is unlikely and establish yourself as a "shooting range" for a year so you'd be somewhat protected by the 2014 state law.

Moving dirt is expensive.
My neighbors just shoot straight up in the air! Any day every Nite!

Back
Top Bottom