• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Best Starter Sports Motorcycle for a tall guy

my ST1100 pulls itself off idle just fine and is much heavier with much less power than a busa. Ive never ridden a bike that won't pull of the line (albeit slowly in some cases) at an idle when you give it throttle. The YZF pictured above is a 100hp 600 that weights in around the same as a busa (they are a close to 500lb all steel frame bike, I've had a few of them) that doesn't have the torque and hp of a busa and again, they pull themself off an idle just fine without dieing. 100 lbs equals nothing near 50hp. If you want the true numbers look at power/weight ratio. Its a simple calculation. However the assumption that a busa makes more power at idle than a 600 at redline is an awfully exaggerated statement as well. But of course nothing makes its peak torque at redline either.

I looked at a couple dyno charts and the Busa makes about 35ft-lbs of torque at the bottom of the scale. 09 R6 made 44 peak, and about the same 35 at redline

102hp on the 09 R6 @ 366lbs for a hp/weight ratio of about .278 HP per pound of vehicle

170hp on the Busa @ 534lbs for a hp/weight ratio of about .318 HP per pound of vehicle

Newer bikes of course make a little more power, but these were the numbers that were easiest for me to find quickly.

Both statements were exaggerated at the busa is noteably more powerful than a 600, even with the extra weight, and while the busa and 600 make the same torque, idle and redline, the 600 does make more torque at peak then a busa does at idle. As well the busa numbers weren't really at idle as the lowest start I could find on the dyno was @ 2k rpm

Edited to adjust weight of the hyabusa since I found a couple conflicting weight numbers and decided to use the higher of the numbers

Last edited:
I'm a little confused to why some folks are recommending a cruiser as a first bike, I really dont think that is they way to go Cruisers are severely limited in their maneuverability compared to all other classes of motorcycles except maybe trike and sidecar bikes. dont get me wrong I have had a few cruisers and thoroughly enjoy them for what they are. and that is not a good starter.

And hella heavy too

Yeah, i am smaller guy, so the cruiser route was a 100% no go. Heavy, slow, typically worse gas mileage.

I am very happy with my Ninja 250, although an SV650 will be coming withing a year or two for better touring capabilities.

Yeah, i am smaller guy, so the cruiser route was a 100% no go. Heavy, slow, typically worse gas mileage.

I am very happy with my Ninja 250, although an SV650 will be coming withing a year or two for better touring capabilities.

You might want to look at a Honda NT700V if your wanting something a little more touring like. Its a Vtwin as well and has nice hard luggage. Its the smaller version of the ST1300. They didn't do so well in the US so they can be hard to come by as honda discontinued them here, but they are very popular over seas so finding parts shouldn't be much of an issue as honda will continue making them for a long time.

I thought about one as the next bike because I really love the power curve of the Vtwins, but I've read that they are a little lacking in power when riding 2 up which is what I'm doing most of the time so I will probably end up with an FJR when its time to replace the ST1100.

I ran an SV650 as my track weapon and loved it to death

You might want to look at a Honda NT700V if your wanting something a little more touring like. Its a Vtwin as well and has nice hard luggage. Its the smaller version of the ST1300. They didn't do so well in the US so they can be hard to come by as honda discontinued them here, but they are very popular over seas so finding parts shouldn't be much of an issue as honda will continue making them for a long time.

I thought about one as the next bike because I really love the power curve of the Vtwins, but I've read that they are a little lacking in power when riding 2 up which is what I'm doing most of the time so I will probably end up with an FJR when its time to replace the ST1100.

I ran an SV650 as my track weapon and loved it to death
My main reason for the SV650 would be cost of purchase/ownership. A really clean newer bike with low miles can be found for $3-4K.

Tons of aftermarket luggage systems, and stupid cheap to maintain. Plus, as you already know, there are many track/enthusuast groups specific for that bike.

That Honda looks neat, but just wouldn't want to get into an uncommon bike.

Cruiser = 'slow'. Have you guys ridden one made in the last 20 years? :confused:
My last bike was a Valkyrie. It was described a lot of ways. I promise you 'slow' was never one of them. :laugh:
They certainly are fast when compared to most commuter cars or trucks. In the world of motorcycles they certainly are not fast.

LOL @ a Valkyrie bein fast.
What's the fastest bike you ever rode?
first-2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom