• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Best Starter Sports Motorcycle for a tall guy

Vaziik

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
31   0
Reaction score
So I've recently gotten the itch to try out motorcycles and I'm leaning towards getting a sports bike. The problem is I'm pretty tall (6'4") and have literally never ridden a motorcycle before in my life. A good starter bike that is preferably used (since I'm sure I'll fall over at least once while I'm practicing) and not too expensive (less than $3000). I won't be able to buy one immediately but I just wanted to get an idea of what is out there

FYI - Motorcycles are extremely purpose built, so you need to define what type of riding you will do to help decide what type of bike to get. World of Wheels in Marietta has all types, so that is a good place to look at several types. Cycletrader.com can sort by type to get you a list of bikes in each type.

Dual Sport - on/off road bikes would be a good place to start looking for a tall guy interested in inexpensive bikes.

Good Luck & TAKE A CLASS.

Motorcycles may be purpose built but the purpose is always the same FUN, Have yet to ride one that was not fun in its own way. Im 6.2 and have yet to meet a motorcycle i can not ride relatively comfortably unless its specifically made for small people and there aren't many of those around. Like DMGun i would recommend starting in the dirt with a dualsport, enduro or MX bike.

FYI - Motorcycles are extremely purpose built, so you need to define what type of riding you will do to help decide what type of bike to get. World of Wheels in Marietta has all types, so that is a good place to look at several types. Cycletrader.com can sort by type to get you a list of bikes in each type.

Dual Sport - on/off road bikes would be a good place to start looking for a tall guy interested in inexpensive bikes.

Good Luck & TAKE A CLASS.
mainly just driving in the city and occasional short trips

I would go cheap and ugly as it is your first one. Think a small cruiser/enduro type bike as they will have enough power for a new rider for a couple of months. There is a good chance that it will get dropped, knocked over, fall over or something else happen to it. Best advise I can give you is to invest in some good safety gear. Full face helmet, riding jacket and pants, riding gloves and finally a pair of boots (steel toe is nice). These will help you in case something happens while riding and protect you from flying objects. Guess what stops windshield rocks on a motorcycle, those things hurt even with gear. Also, know that the first 500 miles are the most dangerous for a new rider. Ride in quiet neighborhoods with lots of practice stopping and starting to prevent becoming a hood ornament on a city street.

Good luck an take the MSF class.

mainly just driving in the city and occasional short trips
Get a cruiser. I can't imagine starting on a sport bike (especially if I was 6'4") but obviously many do. And yes, please PLEASE take a class.

FYI - "Driving in the city" on a motorcycle is about as much 'fun' as pouring lemon juice into self inflicted paper cuts, but hey, we all have our 'thing'. ;)

Good luck.

I would go cheap and ugly as it is your first one. Think a small cruiser/enduro type bike as they will have enough power for a new rider for a couple of months. There is a good chance that it will get dropped, knocked over, fall over or something else happen to it. Best advise I can give you is to invest in some good safety gear. Full face helmet, riding jacket and pants, riding gloves and finally a pair of boots (steel toe is nice). These will help you in case something happens while riding and protect you from flying objects. Guess what stops windshield rocks on a motorcycle, those things hurt even with gear. Also, know that the first 500 miles are the most dangerous for a new rider. Ride in quiet neighborhoods with lots of practice stopping and starting to prevent becoming a hood ornament on a city street.

Good luck an take the MSF class.
I was actually looking at gear earlier. I plan on doing this right. Taking a class. Practicing in parking lots. Wearing proper protective gear. I want to have fun on my bike not die cause I didn't know what I was doing.

Get a cruiser. I can't imagine starting on a sport bike (especially if I was 6'4") but obviously many do. And yes, please PLEASE take a class.

FYI - "Driving in the city" on a motorcycle is about as much 'fun' as pouring lemon juice into self inflicted paper cuts, but hey, we all have our 'thing'. ;)

Good luck.
Oh man I love the burnnnn.

But on the for reals, obviously I'll get out and about with it once I become more experienced.

Since no one really addressed your direct question; in the 600cc class the Yamaha R6 has the highest seat height of all the 4 Japanese brands followed by Kawasaki and I believe Honda. Thats kinda moot though since you can get clip ons and rearsets, er handlebars and footpegs, which can be tailored to make it a little more comfortable for you. Don't be scared of a 600. Its not the insta-death ride people make it out to be. I wouldn't start on a newer bike though because you will likely drop it. My first bike was a 1998 Yamaha 600R, yesteryear's supersport before the R6 and I did fine on it. The only problem with older bikes are they are heavy and carb'd. I prefer light and FI.

Back
Top Bottom