• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best reloader for the money?

As others have said don’t plan on your first press being your last if you stay in reloading. Start with rock chucker or lee Classic turret (NOT deluxe turret) and learn the ins and outs.

Lee classic turret if just starting out. Others said it you need to fully understand what you are doing, what can happen if things go wrong, how severely you can hurt yourself or others, what you can learn to prevent it. After that move on up to whatever you can afford. The timeless Lee will always have a use I guarantee it.

Lee classic turret if just starting out. Others said it you need to fully understand what you are doing, what can happen if things go wrong, how severely you can hurt yourself or others, what you can learn to prevent it. After that move on up to whatever you can afford. The timeless Lee will always have a use I guarantee it.

also, make a mistake on a single stage and you are pulling down a few rounds...mistake on a progressive...get ready to love that bullet puller.

I appreciate all the replies! I think the Dillon 650/750 is a little out of my budget. At least new. I like the idea of a turret or progressive to grow into at a later date.

What is a good budget to get started? I know there are always better tools, I don’t mind upgrading some tools but some of the kits that come with everything normally come with bottom end tools that could use replacing as soon as you get it. I hate to waste the money

You can start off with used equipment. I have a RCBS 2000, 2 RBCS Single stage, Redding Single Stage, and a Dillon 550. Only one RCBS was bought new. As a Metallic Reloading Instructor, I would recommend a RCBS single.stsge to learn on. Then transition into a progressive later if you choose to do so. Sometimes you can luck out and find deal with someone getting out of the hobby.

I bought a Lyman Spar-T over 50 hrs ago, and completely sold on it. About 20 yrs ago I can across a clean used one and bought it and put it up for when I wear out the original one. The spare is still in the closet waiting. Wallacem in Ga.

You can start off with used equipment. I have a RCBS 2000, 2 RBCS Single stage, Redding Single Stage, and a Dillon 550. Only one RCBS was bought new. As a Metallic Reloading Instructor, I would recommend a RCBS single.stsge to learn on. Then transition into a progressive later if you choose to do so. Sometimes you can luck out and find deal with someone getting out of the hobby.

I love my rock chucker. I really believe that learning on a single makes learning a progressive a LOT easier.

Not to nit pick, but there's no reason to start on a "single stage" since that limits progression. I'd just suggest not start on a progressive. Go for a turret or auto indexing turret. All of these allows for single stage operation but later allow for quicker loading thru auto indexing or manual turret rotation. Much more flexible than just having a dedicated single stage. With all the great turret options out there, a single stage is a waste of money IMO. I suppose they have a place in swaging operations and maybe things that require a lot of leverage, but for everyday reloading, a Turret seems like the more flexible option or better application of funds.

I have a Redding T7 turret and the Lee Classic turret. Both are great. I use the T7 for precision rifle rounds and the Lee Classic for when I just want to bang out 100 or so pistol or straight walled rifle rounds. Like 44mag or 45/70. Things I don't shoot enough of to warrant tooling up the progressive....but still shoot just enough that doing them 1 at a time would be very time consuming. The Auto Index of the Lee Classic Turret just makes doing runs like that a breeze.

I know, opinions are like elbows. Just throwing it out there.

Back
Top Bottom