• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best reloader for the money?

Recommend Dillon 550 or 750. Easy to change calibers and they are easy to setup and run. I loaded on single stage presses for 35 years before I bought my first Dillon 550 (I have 4 now) and I should have switched to Dillon much sooner! You won’t be sorry. Remember, you won’t be saving any money by reloading, since you will buy a lot of reloading components and gadgets, but you will be shooting a lot more!

If I had it to over again, I'd go with the 650 or 750 or whatever they are calling the next step up from the 550.
I have a 550 and love it for pistol.
Progressive....of any brand not happening for my bolt guns.

Dillon 550 will do it all. Dillon 650/750 will do it all a little easier and faster, but setup time is longer.

I would go with the 550 as a first press. The accessories are cheaper, it is faster to change calibers, you can rotate the shell holder backwards if needed ..... for whatever reason .

I use 650’s, but that is because I like to load 1000’s rounds each time I switch calibers. The 550 is probably the easiest caliber change of all the progressive presses(all brands). I had a 550 until I got the expensive desire to have two 650’s and a case feeder.

You won’t out grow a 550, and they are easy to sell if you get tired of reloading on it.

Go Dillon if you can afford it, but if you can't, get a solid single stage, you can load just about anything just slower.

Lots of used RCBS Rock Chuckers on the market that you can pickup for less than a Benjamin.

Go Dillon if you can afford it, but if you can't, get a solid single stage, you can load just about anything just slower.

Lots of used RCBS Rock Chuckers on the market that you can pickup for less than a Benjamin.

Where do y'all seek used equipment for reloading?

Sooo...quick story. I have used a RCBS rockchucker for 5-6 years. I am only going to be using it for rifle from now on. I acquired a dillon square deal B for a really good deal. I set it up yesterday...after I got it dialed in I was able to make over 100rds of 9mm in under 30min...first time using the machine.

I am sure knowing how to reload helped a lot with the progressive learning curve. Now I am saving for a 650.

I will still use the single stage for bolt guns and precision rounds for my ARs. But I want big blue for 55gr blaster ammo. the square deal B is life changing for me. enough that I already want a 650.

there IS a LOT to be said about learning on a single stage press.

Best press for the money that you should start on: Lee classic turret. You can disable auto indexing and start off single stage. Then progress to auto indexing.

From there you can decide if you want to buy into a progressive.

Best press IMO: Dillon 750.

Best prog press for the money: Hornady LNL. Cheap and fast but has its flaws.

I have all 3 of these and more. It's an addiction for sure! I hardly ever break out the LNL. Used it for years but now the Dillon gets all the action. It's hands down better, but costs way more.

I would not start on a progressive though you will probably end up there. A cheap starter press is worth every penny and you'll need it for other things eventually. It's an investment that will allow you to develop good habits needed to properly and safely operate a progressive.

Back
Top Bottom