• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best reloader for the money?

JSimotes

Default rank <500 posts Supporter
Come as You Are
71   0
Reaction score
I’m interested in getting into reloading, I have been collecting brass so when the day comes I will be able to put some time on the press.

My question for you all is what is the best press for the money? I will mainly be reloading .223/5.56, 300BLK, and .308 WIN. I like the idea of being able to grow into the press. This is an item I only want to buy once, so I want it to be right. I don’t want the most expensive press or the cheapest press, key words here are “best press for the money”

Would y’all recommend a single stage, turret or progressive? Also, maybe a brand/model you are using and would recommend.

Best Regards,

Jason

Turret is a good idea. I don't know what kind of production you're looking to crank out. You can operate as a single stage while getting up to speed and then start utilizing the progressive function. If you decide to go full progressive you can always get your money back out of your turret.

I posted this a while back in the steals & deals
Frankford Arsenal M-Press (you don't need any special bushings when using Lee dies)

Being new to reloading a single stage is a great idea.. Both money saved and a learning experience. Seeing the cartridges you're looking to reload this would make some great ones for you.

Price is the same once again! $181.60 to your door

Also I'd recommend Lyman's Hand operated turret options
Lyman All American 8
They offer it as a kit or just the press. With a hand turret press especially the 8 you could have two calibers setup at once.

This is Lyman's Older T-Mag II 7-Hole Turret
Bench1219.jpg

This was my setup about 7 months ago, I have since added another Chargemaster 1500 for faster rifle powder drops.. I still use a RCBS Rock Chucker IV for rifle brass & bullet sizing, and primer pocket swaging to save from stress on the turret, not that it can't handle it :) I also like to keep my two turret heads setup for loading and do all the processing in batches. You can put a bullet drop on the hand turrets that you wouldn't be able to with a Lee while using the auto index feature. I can crank out 250+ pistol rounds an hour with sized and primed brass.

I have a lee turret that I could sell. 4 Turrets, New manual & auto-index rod, Case kicker, and Extra New safety primes.. I'm taking the Lee single stage and mounting it upside on another bench for bullet sizing and gas check making.. I have 3k lbs of pure lead & wheel weights :) I'm just now getting into casting.
LeeReloading .jpg

Just some food for thought.. There's a lot of options and it all depends how much money you want to spend, how serious you are, and honestly how much time & space you have.. Not just now, but down the road. I've noticed a lot of people get into it, don't have time, and then the stuff ends up in the way and it gets sold for a loss.

Best of luck on finding the right one for yourself.

DILLON,"BIG BLUE" BUY ONCE, CRY ONCE, and never look back they are built like a tank, warranty is great, and buying only if you want to expand your loading capabilities, and yes we are DILLON BLUE through and through, for over 45+ years, you can use Dillon dies, or who ever you want as long as they are 7/8" x 14 thds. Reloading is not where you want to penny pinching wise, and dollar foolish, after all it is reloading and it demands the best, so now you have to make a decision, make sure you really check things out for yourself, don't just buy anything...

I appreciate all the replies! I think the Dillon 650/750 is a little out of my budget. At least new. I like the idea of a turret or progressive to grow into at a later date.

What is a good budget to get started? I know there are always better tools, I don’t mind upgrading some tools but some of the kits that come with everything normally come with bottom end tools that could use replacing as soon as you get it. I hate to waste the money

I appreciate all the replies! I think the Dillon 650/750 is a little out of my budget. At least new. I like the idea of a turret or progressive to grow into at a later date.

What is a good budget to get started? I know there are always better tools, I don’t mind upgrading some tools but some of the kits that come with everything normally come with bottom end tools that could use replacing as soon as you get it. I hate to waste the money

I started with an RCBS Rock Chucker. $300 and I was reloading 2 calibers.

Back
Top Bottom