• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best hunting rifle to use in Georgia and Alabama

Appreciate it, I believe I have some on hand. Looking forward to hunting with it. I've always been a traditional "hunting rifle" type of guy.

Lever guns obviously work, but... they tend to have poor triggers, and stocks that aren't set up for a proper cheek weld with a scope. Both things that matter to making clean shots.

Also they are slow and awkward to safely unload.

And they are limited in ammo choice-- Lever Evolution is the only one with a decent BC.

A plain old bolt gun in .308/.30-06/.270 solves all of these problems.

There is one definite advantage to the lever gun for the newbie-- it's easy to tell what state the gun is in. The half cock on the hammer is very intuitive.

And they are light and handy. But on balance, I'd recommend a bolt gun.

Thought about taking my 107 a few times this year. What bullet do you typically go with?

Use federal 123gr. soft point I have used the steel case cheapy hollow point and soft point but there was zero expansion didnt matter got lucky with good placed shots but still I like my bullet to mushroom out and never worry about a threw and threw.

the property we've always used it generally always pretty thick with brush so I mainly go for the ol reliable sks of destruction or an old Winchester ranger 30-30

If I have time to hunt I'll be using my tried and true 336 in 30-30 using leverevolution ammo for deer and hogs ,
Buffalo bore 190 gr should I stumble apron a bear
It was born in 76 has a happy trigger and ranger point big level rail and sites. Old rifle with modern parts

The past couple of years I have been using a Marlin 30-30 youth model and loving it. I have a Ruger M77 MKii 270 for longer range. Both are awesome.

308 bolt gun with a scope that you shoot a lot and are comfortable with

Highlighted the important part. Should also add in proficient with..

Caliber doesn't matter as much if you can put your shot exactly where you want it. If you can put one in the eyeball of a deer and send it through their brain a .22lr out of a cricket will do the job. Don't get me wrong, I don't think that you should hunt deer with a .22, But caliber alone is not the most important factor, nor is style of rifle.

That said I've always used a stock Nagant 91/30 to hunt deer with, or a 20GA shotgun

There is no 'best' gun obviously and given that the vast majority of shots taken in the Georgia deer woods are under 100 yards and the average deer live weight is less than the shooter, a LOT of options are more than adequate for the task. In a rifle I'd set a muzzle energy floor of around 1,500 lbs and rock on. As has been said, take what you shoot best.

Back
Top Bottom