• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best .300blkout hunting setup

For subsonic rounds call these two companies and give them the details of the rifle and yardage range you will be hunting.

Just because you can hit at longer ranges with subsonic doesn't mean you should hunt at that range. Your bullet performance/energy can degrade rapidly.

For supersonic I love the Barnes line.

The .300 Blackout is a very versatile round.

I have noticed my supersonic 100 yard zero becomes a rough 50 yard zero with my subsonic ammo.

With a suppressor the .300 Blackout can be stupid quiet.

To clarify, I’m talking about 50-60 yd shots max. Will a 200 gr subsonic create an exit wound at that distance? What type of sub bullet? At that distance a pistol configuration would work...any lightweight bolt options other than the Q?

To clarify, I’m talking about 50-60 yd shots max. Will a 200 gr subsonic create an exit wound at that distance? What type of sub bullet? At that distance a pistol configuration would work...any lightweight bolt options other than the Q?

My buddy hunts with sellier and bellot, 200 grain, FMJ, 13 grains of powder subs out of a 16 inch spikes tactical. Hes DRT 3 does so far. I dont trust that ammo. I recommended he use 110 grain VMAX. He was hunting heavy woods in virgina fartherst shot was 75 yards, closest was 40.

unfortunately everything is expensive in the compact bolt gun world

I have a Ruger American .300 BLK as my beater rifle and for the money it is hard to beat.

The slicker the gun the more the price goes up.
Bolt gun the CZ and Howa are very nice.

I had the Sig Rattler which was great shooter and have shot a Honey Badger quite a bit.
What I learned was that the minimum barrel length I like is 8.5 inches, good versatility and performance with both super and subsonics.

I have a couple AR15's my favorite uses a custom cut 8.5" Q 1/6 twist barrel.

The 1/6 twist lets me stabilize subs in the 220 grain plus range very well.

1/7 twist is more than adequate for most applications.
For an AR15 a pistol length gas system is my choice with adjustable gas block.

I may try a Superlative Arms piston set up in the future.

Hunting/pest control:

Been a while since I shot a deer but on hogs I have never had an exit wound on the body with subsonics.

That said I normally shoot them behind the ear when using subs.

Coyotes I do get a few exit wounds with subsonics.

Range tends to be 150 yards or mostly less.
Your bullet has alot more thump at 30 to 60 yards.

I like subsonics with the suppressor.
*Dead Air Wolfman with a Nomad L in jail*

Supersonic with my friends Nomad Ti is still very nice but you will get a supersonic crack.

I LOVE the supersonic Barnes 110 Tac-TX for hunting.
*Especially on coyotes*

Winchester Deer Season has been a good performer as well.

All this chatting makes me realize I haven't shot in a while.

Why not use a adequate HV round? You can still use your can. If you are going to shoot at four legged creatures, at least do it ethically. The two legged type I could care less about.

Back
Top Bottom