• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

barrel dimpling

I stressed over this for a long time myself. Then I ordered a barrel from Faxon and asked them what they do. They sell a gas block with three set screws.

They told me they do not dimple the barrel. They use Loctite.

I asked the people at Troy about their gas blocks. They said they do not dimple the barrel. They put Loctite in them and stake the set screws like you do the gas key on the BCG.

It may seem simple to some of you, but when you're contemplating destroying a new barrel, it's not easy to make that kind of decision. Besides common sense tells me if you drill into the barrel like that, it would weaken that area.

I'm going to do Loctite and staking the set screws. The OP is encouraged to do that or take his chances.

I stressed over this for a long time myself. Then I ordered a barrel from Faxon and asked them what they do. They sell a gas block with three set screws.

I asked the people at Troy about their gas blocks. They said they do not dimple the barrel. They put Loctite in them and stake the set screws like you do the gas key on the BCG.

It may seem simple to some of you, but when you're contemplating destroying a new barrel, it's not easy to make that kind of decision. Besides common sense tells me if you drill into the barrel like that, it would weaken that area.

I'm going to do Loctite and staking the set screws. The OP is encouraged to do that or take his chances.
:pop2:

I always use my debt card or credit card to space the gas block off the shoulder and use a drop of blue loctite on the set screws and never had a problem. I agree with them. However I'm not opposed to dimpling the barrel in a correct manner as I have done it a few times for friends builds who wanted it done that way. As far as weakening the barrel I don't prescribe to that point of view because u do realize u have a gas port in the barrel. It never fails, so I don't think 2 dimples affect the integrity of the barrel. :cool:

this may sound stupid but anybody with a bit of common sense and a battery drill can dimple a barrel for a gas block
Although that is partially true, as mtdawg169 mtdawg169 noted, the jig ensures proper alignment. The dimple jig also takes the approximate .028 gap for an endcap into consideration.

For $60-ish, the jigs are well worth it and make ****ing up a nice barrel difficult. Then again, my guys at work could screw up a bowling ball in a sandbox.

In my opinion, a barrel maker that doesn't dimple the barrel is being lazy. Especially if they use nitride barrels like Faxon. Nitride is so hard, that set screws barely even bite into the steel at all. Essentially, it's a tension fit only. And 90% of the guns I've seen fail due to a shifted gas block, were nitride barrels. Because the set screws don't bite into the barrel steel and will walk out of alignment over time. A dimple creates a mechanical lock to the barrel.

Who cares what Troy does. They are a joke as far as I'm concerned, because they don't build or sell enough guns to have a valid opinion. Ask someone known for better quality like BCM, Daniel Defense, Noveske, etc. They dimple or pin or do both.

And I can't take the "damage" comment seriously. Have you ever seen how an FSB is attached to the barrel?

Dimple it, then drill through it and pin it

The Geissele rail I bought came with a Geissele GB.
Not only does it have 2 set screws but it has holes on the side so you can drill through and pin it in place.

If you do that I think it would be pretty much bomb proof.

The Geissele rail I bought came with a Geissele GB.
Not only does it have 2 set screws but it has holes on the side so you can drill through and pin it in place.

If you do that I think it would be pretty much bomb proof.
Absolutely, 100% bombproof. Unfortunately I don't have a jig for the pin. They actually provide the coil pin too, which only requires a straight hole. Much easier versus drilling and then reaming for a 2/0 taper pin.

Back
Top Bottom