• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

barrel dimpling

Dude does not seem very familiar with drilling metal or using a reamer...lol

Nice video quality though.
He does some pretty decent videos, but that was his first time using the BRDE jig. The SLR Rifleworks jigs are about half the cost of the BRDE.

He did a pretty decent job of explaining how the jig ensures perfect TDC alignment with the port.

In my opinion, a barrel maker that doesn't dimple the barrel is being lazy. Especially if they use nitride barrels like Faxon. Nitride is so hard, that set screws barely even bite into the steel at all. Essentially, it's a tension fit only. And 90% of the guns I've seen fail due to a shifted gas block, were nitride barrels. Because the set screws don't bite into the barrel steel and will walk out of alignment over time. A dimple creates a mechanical lock to the barrel.

Who cares what Troy does. They are a joke as far as I'm concerned, because they don't build or sell enough guns to have a valid opinion. Ask someone known for better quality like BCM, Daniel Defense, Noveske, etc. They dimple or pin or do both.

And I can't take the "damage" comment seriously. Have you ever seen how an FSB is attached to the barrel?

The last FSB I saw was held in with two pins that were merely driven in with a ball peen hammer.

So, how many firearms must a manufacturer build before they have a valid opinion? How many gas blocks have you actually witnessed that failed?

I called Brownells and the gunsmith there told me he'd never heard of a gas block coming undone and he claims to teach a gunsmithing class at Brownells.

You can browbeat me until Hades freezes over and all I can say is this:

We are all a product of our experiences, but I'd much rather accept the words of people trying to be helpful than those trying to prove they are somehow superior to me by talking down to me. When you don't build weapons for a living, you don't want to screw up a week's salary on an upper that may be your only self defense weapon.

I may send the whole thing off and have someone do that part for me and later buy junk barrels to practice on. It appears that I'm in the same boat as the OP. If he takes the advice of people that want to browbeat and talk down to others, I won't be surprised to find out he's ordering another barrel and gas block in a few weeks.

oh my goodness...tell you guys what...I've been assembling uppers for a while...and I not so recently sent mtdawg169 a nitrided barrel to dimple for me...for all the reasons he's stated...have dealt directly with ASH556 a few times too...let the certified guys handle the things you're not qualified or confident enough to do...and research first so you know WHY you don't know...kinda like the OP asked...

OP, have no fear sending your barrel to ASH or mtdawg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:pop2:

I hope I am not buying another barrel or GB.
I am poor already.

But I dont plan on doing it myself, so I am confident it will be fine.
I think its pretty simple to see that if you have a dimple in the barrel it allows for a better bite from the set screws.
Sure it might not fail without one but I want the warm fuzzies I get by having it done.

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160824_d4801c76dbee9450b70e976111d82ebf.jpg

:pop2:

I hope I am not buying another barrel or GB.
I am poor already.

But I dont plan on doing it myself, so I am confident it will be fine.
I think its pretty simple to see that if you have a dimple in the barrel it allows for a better bite from the set screws.
Sure it might not fail without one but I want the warm fuzzies I get by having it done.
Don't worry, you won't be buying anything. If by some random act of God, I screw up your barrel, I'll be replacing it. But that ain't gonna happen, so don't worry.

The last FSB I saw was held in with two pins that were merely driven in with a ball peen hammer.

So, how many firearms must a manufacturer build before they have a valid opinion? How many gas blocks have you actually witnessed that failed?

I called Brownells and the gunsmith there told me he'd never heard of a gas block coming undone and he claims to teach a gunsmithing class at Brownells.

You can browbeat me until Hades freezes over and all I can say is this:

We are all a product of our experiences, but I'd much rather accept the words of people trying to be helpful than those trying to prove they are somehow superior to me by talking down to me. When you don't build weapons for a living, you don't want to screw up a week's salary on an upper that may be your only self defense weapon.

I may send the whole thing off and have someone do that part for me and later buy junk barrels to practice on. It appears that I'm in the same boat as the OP. If he takes the advice of people that want to browbeat and talk down to others, I won't be surprised to find out he's ordering another barrel and gas block in a few weeks.

Jesus. Here's where those pins that were simply tapped in with a hammer went.
image.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom