• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Anybody have a wife that hunts deer with them?

Leave the .243 for the experts that can put the bullet on the money every time. Mines uses a 7mm08 with a 130gr HotCor and a minimum load of H4895. Not much recoil to speak of and a dead on hold out to 200 yards. However, she uses it when she leaves me at home to watch the kids while she hunts by herself, too. Kinda want to keep that possibility in mind before you get her into it. She just might like it as much or more than you do.

So basically what you're saying is that caliber is now a substitution for skill???? Right behind the shoulder blade, if you can't make that in any caliber let the deer walk. Granted 243 is minumum, but still PLENTY enough bang to bring down any deer in the state of Georgia. We have small deeer down here, nothing that necessarily requires heavier loads. Take time to get proficcient with a rifle and you'll drop deer with any caliber.

i gave mine the 300 mag to shoot right after she shot her 243, She had been wearing ear protectors didn't even really know how loud it was much less was she prepared for the kick she got!!! I scared her from hunting anymore!

So basically what you're saying is that caliber is now a substitution for skill???? Right behind the shoulder blade, if you can't make that in any caliber let the deer walk. Granted 243 is minumum, but still PLENTY enough bang to bring down any deer in the state of Georgia. We have small deeer down here, nothing that necessarily requires heavier loads. Take time to get proficcient with a rifle and you'll drop deer with any caliber.

I think he means the 7mm-08 is more forgiving than the 243 when it comes to shot placement. Even an expert like yourself might let one fly a little high or low. Then my father-in-law shot an buck 2 years ago that weighed 265lbs when we Hung him up. Thing looked like a horse.

I WISH-

Whenever I can get my wife in the woods (which ain't often,) I always see unusual wildlife. Sometimes a big turkey will come and swoop down and land right by where we are. Sometimes a hawk or falcon will fly close by to look at us.

I have no idea why the critters in the forest like her so much-but they all do. I am pretty sure that if she would actually hunt just once, we would see the buck of my life.

-But she won't. Hates bugs.....

My wife hunted with one for two years and liked it a lot. She tried so hard to talk our son into giving his rifle to her. She later found a Marlin 30-30 that she fell in love with, that's what she shoots now.

FWIW, she is a very small woman and has a sensitive shoulder due to surgery and neither of those rounds affected her negatively at all.

Back
Top Bottom