• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any reduced recoil load data for 35 or 45/70 contender

180gr PSP RL7
150gr PSP IMR3031

Both of my loads are well over any currently published max loads, so I'm not going to post them here. I haven't shot my contender in quite a few years (the 35 remington, my guess would be 6-8 years at least), but I have a couple of boxes of each loading.

Might pull a bullet or two from each and confirm that the load is what is says on my label, after I dig thru some more loading manuals one of these days. In the past I had some load data/manuals specific to the contender, could be that they loads were higher than some of the current rifles in production. I've got manuals back to the late 70's and it's always interesting to see how much the load data changes (could be that the powder burn rates and composition changes over time as well?).

My 45/70 loads are for my single shot NEF, but should still work well in your set up. My puff loads are 12.0 gr of Unique with a quarter sheet of SINGLE ply tp as a powder position wad behind a 405gr cast bullet. Good for 1060fps out of my handi and freight trains through both shoulders of a deer at 75 yards.

If you're hand loading you can tapper it to something that will work for you. First, use a slow burning powder. Next use a lighter bullet.

Way back when I found some load data for 45/70 using a 400gr cast bullet and pistol powder, it was a hoot to shoot. I’ll see if I can dig it up.

Edit: White ghost posted it above.

Back
Top Bottom