• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ant 7.3 nuts on here?

Its faster and easier to just set the bed back or out of the way. The sock is probably no on it but there should be at least screens in the pick up tube. Then there's screens in the pump or should be at the inlet.
If he's worried about pulling the tank because of rust it may not be a bad idea to get new bolts for the bed, or atleast start soaking the ones you have in penetrating oil for a few days prior to pulling it.

There are no “socks” in the tanks on a 97. It just has a plastic piece with a screen. There would have to be a ton of trash in the tank to clog that screen. Most common problem with those is they break off and will run out of fuel at 1/4 tank, which doesn’t sound like the problem.

Depending on what you mean by it seeming like it’s not getting fuel, could be a few things.

If the truck starts dying under a load, then I would check the fuel pressure regulator on the side of the bowl. There is a screen that gets trash on it. Check the fuel tank selector valve on the frame rail.

If the truck just feels weak, check your EBP sensor and tube and see if they’re clogged with carbon. Also check the MAP sensor and hose going to it.

Ideally you would want to get a scan tool on it and check values for EBP and MAP. Also would want to check boost pressure, leaking up pipes are common and affect it building boost.

There are plenty of possibilities, but I’d start with those.
So the screen was dirty on the regulator. Cleaned it checked the map sensor tone changed engine light came on. There was a ebp code but I unplugged it so that might be why the code was there. So I'm thinking trash in the fuel lines or trash in the selector valve. Truck will idel fine but if I go drive it up the road it sputters like the injectors aint getting the correct amount of fuel.

I hooked my dump trailer to it to move it. My driveway on a hill not to bad of a pitch but backing the trailer up the truck didn't like it.

If he's worried about pulling the tank because of rust it may not be a bad idea to get new bolts for the bed, or atleast start soaking the ones you have in penetrating oil for a few days prior to pulling it.
I agree. I'm going to start with the rear tank it shouldn't be that bad. That way if it dont have filters in the tank i didnt waisted half a day and a jar of shine for no reason

There are no “socks” in the tanks on a 97. It just has a plastic piece with a screen. There would have to be a ton of trash in the tank to clog that screen. Most common problem with those is they break off and will run out of fuel at 1/4 tank, which doesn’t sound like the problem.

Depending on what you mean by it seeming like it’s not getting fuel, could be a few things.

If the truck starts dying under a load, then I would check the fuel pressure regulator on the side of the bowl. There is a screen that gets trash on it. Check the fuel tank selector valve on the frame rail.

If the truck just feels weak, check your EBP sensor and tube and see if they’re clogged with carbon. Also check the MAP sensor and hose going to it.

Ideally you would want to get a scan tool on it and check values for EBP and MAP. Also would want to check boost pressure, leaking up pipes are common and affect it building boost.

There are plenty of possibilities, but I’d start with those.
I checked the map its good. The screen was filthy so I cleaned it. I'm going to drop the rear tank first.seems Easier. And if it dont have screens in it I haven't lost most my day and a bottle of shine.

Let me see if I can find some info on testing the selector valve. I have had multiple trucks that the selector valve went bad due to rust/trash binding it up internally.

The pickup in the tank does have a fine filter on it . You have to pull the tank and pull the pickup to get at it. Then you have to disassemble the pickup to get to the screen/filter.

Another problem with those is the fuel valve that switches tanks. They go bad, jam half way between tanks and restrict fuel flow. Only way to fix is a new valve. About a cheap Mickey mouse setup if I have ever seen one.

To compound the problem, restricted fuel flow can lead to catastrophic engine damage on a computer controlled engine.

It just gets better and better, don't it?

The pickup in the tank does have a fine filter on it . You have to pull the tank and pull the pickup to get at it. Then you have to disassemble the pickup to get to the screen/filter.

Another problem with those is the fuel valve that switches tanks. They go bad, jam half way between tanks and restrict fuel flow. Only way to fix is a new valve. About a cheap Mickey mouse setup if I have ever seen one.
Its amazing how much the valve is

The early 7.3s don’t have the fine mesh screen in the tank. The super duty 7.3s have 2 mesh screens inside the pickup assembly.

I believe dorman has come out with a selector valve that actually fits and is a little less than the ridiculously expensive OEM unit. Haven’t tried it so can’t vouch for it.

Another option is to ditch the selector and front tank and put in a 38 gallon rear tank.

Back
Top Bottom