• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any tips on cleaning out nasty old crud in an ATV tank thats been sitting?

Cadcom

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
505   0
Reaction score
My son has decided to retore/resurrect an old Honda 4 wheeler. The tank seems solid but the inside is scaly and has what looks like stalagmites growing from the bottom and sides. I'm thinking of filling it with vinegar and letting it soak and then hot water and soap. Does anyone have any other suggestions on cleaning one of these things out?

Remove the tank and fill with White Vinegar and let it sit for a few days to remove rust.
If there are flakes of rust then add a few nuts and bolts or as previously suggested a short section of chain and shake the tank.
Once the rust has been removed and dried out then apply some fuel tank sealer.

Remove the tank and fill with White Vinegar and let it sit for a few days to remove rust.
If there are flakes of rust then add a few nuts and bolts or as previously suggested a short section of chain and shake the tank.
Don't forget a new fuel filter!

Problem isn’t going to be your tank. If it’s been sitting long enough, your lines are going to be clogged as well. If they are easy to get to, unhook both ends and shoot some compressed air through the lines or replace them.

To clean the tank do a mixture of what 87KJH 87KJH and jpm2953 jpm2953 stated above. If it’s a metal tank, line it before you reinstall. I use Red-Kote but there are others out there that do the same thing.

Take it off.
Put some lead shot in it and shake vigorously.
Fill it up with vinegar and let it eat for a day.
Rinse with baking soda water.
Rinse with hot water a couple few times.

I did my C10 tank back in the summer with just vinegar water. Then the soda water rinse. Then the hot water rinse.
Im using a filter before the fuel pump and b4 the carb.

Perfect advice. I’ve done this before with old metal fuel tanks and it worked very well.

Back
Top Bottom