• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Air rifle with can

Jackie Graham

Eagle Icon Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
676   0
Reaction score
I was reading another thread and a question came to mind. Would it be legal to put some kind of muffler on an air rifle?
I saw a comment that stated some air rifles created as much or more noise than some 22lr.
Just curious since an air rifle is not under the same regulations as a standard firearm.

image.jpg

They’re called Moderators. They work and are “legal”… but that doesn’t necessarily mean anything

As long as it’s permanently
Attached to the gun you’re fine. Or not permanently attachable.

In swisher land people shoot from inside giants foam and baffle lined tubes. These are silencers but not officially since they are too big to attach to a rifle.

I was reading another thread and a question came to mind. Would it be legal to put some kind of muffler on an air rifle?
I saw a comment that stated some air rifles created as much or more noise than some 22lr.
Just curious since an air rifle is not under the same regulations as a standard firearm.
A lot of air rifles come with cans.

As long as it’s permanently
Attached to the gun you’re fine. Or not permanently attachable.

In swisher land people shoot from inside giants foam and baffle lined tubes. These are silencers but not officially since they are too big to attach to a rifle.
Mine thread on and off… are interchangeable between air guns.

I have seen some that looked like they had one on it but wasn't sure if it was just a faux can or not. I have been looking into getting a new air rifle but haven't made up my mind on what kind I want. I grew up with the .177 caliber but see that there are a lot more out there.

Bear in mind, many air rifles have muzzle velocities over 1000 fps, (of course, in those situations a moderator is only of some use) - but yeah, they can be as loud as some .22s

Back
Top Bottom