• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Adding in cost of shipping and tax?

So, how do you figure out the price of something when you list it? For something like ammo I generally go to SG or similar and see what they selling it for. Then factor in shipping and tax to get a current market price.

That gives a retail price but not what I would list for, since there's no incentive to buy my stuff instead of just ordering it then.

Are you saying he added extra prices to what his listing said? Or he just explained how he came up with his price.

We need further context to properly evaluate your
He said he wouldn't take less than what he had said because of what it would cost if I had purchased it online with sales tax and shipping he was trying to charge me for sales tax and shipping costs when it was for a ftf deal that I was trying to do

So, how do you figure out the price of something when you list it? For something like ammo I generally go to SG or similar and see what they selling it for. Then factor in shipping and tax to get a current market price.

That gives a retail price but not what I would list for, since there's no incentive to buy my stuff instead of just ordering it then.
The issue was that he was trying to sell me the ammo above what market was and his argument was that the price should be higher cause I would of had to pay for sales tax and shipping if I bought it online so he was basically trying to sell it to me with shipping and sales tax cost on top of what market value is when it was for a ftf deal no shipping involved

This is a common theme in our classifieds. You can build brand New Aero Precision rifle with a 300 dollar lower and a 600 dollar upper and what about that makes a used one worth 1,200 to 2,500 bucks.
yeah but you can't get that rattle can "custom" camouflaged paint job without spending the big bucks.....and also you need not forget it's going back in the safe if you don't hurry up and jump on it!

Why do people add in cost of shipping and taxes on sales that don't involve either im genuinely curious why this is a thing with private sales of ammo and accessories
I can see chipping costs but not sales tax. The tax addition is nothing but their gouging the buyer. They are not going to send the tax money in to the govt.

In the case of ammo, a good indicator of whether you're gonna be able to sell it is by checking ammoseek.com - they have an indicator of shipping costs too, so under some circumstances, you can be price-competitive with a supplier by offering the ammo at the 'bare' cpr cost you see listed at ammoseek.

For other relatively new items, wikiarms.com or gun.deals will show highly competitive pricing. Same deal. The prices they have are for new and not second-hand items, so in those cases, there's very little incentive for anyone to buy that tried-three-times Hogue grip at anything more than 75% of the lowest price on one of those sites.

He said he wouldn't take less than what he had said because of what it would cost if I had purchased it online with sales tax and shipping he was trying to charge me for sales tax and shipping costs when it was for a ftf deal that I was trying to do

Sounds to me like you probably offered him a price based on what it sells for online, and he countered with the reality of adding shipping and taxes to that.

I don't see the issue. If the price is higher than you want to pay just don't buy it. If you can order cheaper online then order it online.

In the case of ammo, a good indicator of whether you're gonna be able to sell it is by checking ammoseek.com - they have an indicator of shipping costs too, so under some circumstances, you can be price-competitive with a supplier by offering the ammo at the 'bare' cpr cost you see listed at ammoseek.

For other relatively new items, wikiarms.com or gun.deals will show highly competitive pricing. Same deal. The prices they have are for new and not second-hand items, so in those cases, there's very little incentive for anyone to buy that tried-three-times Hogue grip at anything more than 75% of the lowest price on one of those sites.
Thats how i.priced out the old surplus turkish 8mm mauser was ammoseek cpr with shipping and his evaluation was about 16 cents higher per round I just walked because if his reasoning for why it was higher

Sounds to me like you probably offered him a price based on what it sells for online, and he countered with the reality of adding shipping and taxes to that.

I don't see the issue. If the price is higher than you want to pay just don't buy it. If you can order cheaper online then order it online.
Thats what I ended up doing was mainly curious why people think they can add sales tax and shipping costs (dealer associated costs) to a sale when its for a ftf private sale. was mainly just seeing if this was a common thing and If I was the idiot 🤣

Back
Top Bottom