A suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is not about the gouging itself, so please don't immediately move it to the pasture without at least considering it.

This is about coming up with some sort of mechanism that gives members at least SOME latitude at "self policing" when there is clearly something shady going on, which I would put blatant price gouging on that list.

I realize that we aren't supposed to post anything negative on someone's listing... that even a popcorn smily gets you a slap on the peepee by a mod.

We have a "like" and "great deal" button. Why CAN'T we have something on the negative side?

We clearly have people price gouging. I understand the "anyone is free to charge whatever they want and if someone is desperate/ignorant enough to pay it, that's the free market at work"...

However, when so many people are now listing things WAY ever retail, it has a lingering effect. It's not a simple case of, if that insane lister lists it at a crazy price, it will sit there and he will either have to come down or have it not sell...

Other people, in trying to decide what their "custom" rig is worth, scour similar listings, and see some truly high prices, and suddenly their Glock that they rattle canned with Krylon is listed at $750...

It makes good deals harder and harder to come by, because each time someone lists something way overpriced, it adds to this false "market value" perception and continues this madness.

An AR pistol that was at DG&P not 4 months ago for under $500 new, being listed used for $2,000? $225 pistols going for $450?

Many of them are "new" members, but you can tell by the wording of the listing that they are senior members with spare accounts, listing them there so that people won't give them heat for price gouging. I would like to not get into flame wars withing the listings and things like that, I get why the mods don't allow it. But there should be some recourse for us to help keep prices and things at least within the realm of sanity, no?
Don't buy it,move on.Why get your panties in a wad,just laugh,shake your head and move on.

Isn't the function of markets to set prices? If Glocks were selling here at $500 and all snapped up within seconds is that the real "price"? Or is it artificially too low and product for willing buyers become scarce?

Yep. That is where the problem comes in.
Anything that does not tread on freedoms wont work.
And i am not for treading on freedom to sell/buy any way you want. So i guess we are stuck .

What about the freedom for me to say, "Dude, that's crazy, its 4x full retail"?

I am not saying anyone should be limited from pricing as they want. It's the other side of the coin, the buyer that has the gag order here... lol

Don't buy it,move on.Why get your panties in a wad,just laugh,shake your head and move on.

What if I want to laugh publicly?

You seem to think that I am calling for price controls. I am not. I just don't feel that posting a popcorn emoji, or asking "Is that a typo? 2 grand?" is worthy of having your posts censored and a note from a mod.

In the email that I got, it said that if you disagree with this decision, go ahead and post it in the Help section.

Which I did, and within 49 seconds it was ignored and scrapped to the Pasture.

The "open market" and freedom seems limited to one side, that's all I am questioning.

What about the freedom for me to say, "Dude, that's crazy, its 4x full retail"?

I am not saying anyone should be limited from pricing as they want. It's the other side of the coin, the buyer that has the gag order here... lol
That should definitely be an option. If they are free to ask what they want and they are free to leave the thread open to comments, people should be free to comment anything they like. There are all kinds of thread tools. Even the OP can remove other folks comments in their ad . So let us comment about anything.
I am with you on that . :thumb:

That should definitely be an option. If they are free to ask what they want and they are free to leave the thread open to comments, people should be free to comment anything they like. There are all kinds of thread tools. Even the OP can remove other folks comments in their ad . So let us comment about anything.
I am with you on that . :thumb:

That's all I am saying... Potential buyers have all the gag orders and restrictions on them and so the "freedom" and "open market" argument seems a bit one sided...

Grumble, grumble, grumble...

Just because YOU think the item is priced too high doesn't mean it is too high for someone else.

Irrelevant. Why shouldn't I be allowed to say that a $475 item listed used at $2,000 is overpriced?

Yes, someone dumb enough, desperate enough, or someone that won't pass a background check might be willing to pay that... so what?

It isn't about someone being allowed to list whatever price they want. I said that very clearly in the opening lines of the thread.

It's about the rest of us being under gag orders not to be allowed to say anything, or even post a stupid popcorn emoji.

I mean hell, the thread in question, the guy even admitted in his post that he needed money and way trying to make a profit off of the current covid/civil unrest situation...

When someone says that, admits to price gouging and leaves their own thread open for comments, why SHOULDN'T paying members be allowed to at least say something or question it?

It's not about the ability to price it how you want. I said that quite clearly.

What I ask for an item is none of your business. It matters not what the "list " price is, if none are available at that price. Or even at that price for the next 18 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom