A suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirBannedAlot

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
171   0
Reaction score
This thread is not about the gouging itself, so please don't immediately move it to the pasture without at least considering it.

This is about coming up with some sort of mechanism that gives members at least SOME latitude at "self policing" when there is clearly something shady going on, which I would put blatant price gouging on that list.

I realize that we aren't supposed to post anything negative on someone's listing... that even a popcorn smily gets you a slap on the peepee by a mod.

We have a "like" and "great deal" button. Why CAN'T we have something on the negative side?

We clearly have people price gouging. I understand the "anyone is free to charge whatever they want and if someone is desperate/ignorant enough to pay it, that's the free market at work"...

However, when so many people are now listing things WAY ever retail, it has a lingering effect. It's not a simple case of, if that insane lister lists it at a crazy price, it will sit there and he will either have to come down or have it not sell...

Other people, in trying to decide what their "custom" rig is worth, scour similar listings, and see some truly high prices, and suddenly their Glock that they rattle canned with Krylon is listed at $750...

It makes good deals harder and harder to come by, because each time someone lists something way overpriced, it adds to this false "market value" perception and continues this madness.

An AR pistol that was at DG&P not 4 months ago for under $500 new, being listed used for $2,000? $225 pistols going for $450?

Many of them are "new" members, but you can tell by the wording of the listing that they are senior members with spare accounts, listing them there so that people won't give them heat for price gouging. I would like to not get into flame wars withing the listings and things like that, I get why the mods don't allow it. But there should be some recourse for us to help keep prices and things at least within the realm of sanity, no?

And if the answer is "No, a free market allows people to list things for whatever they want and if it doesn't sell that's on them"...

True, but the other part of the "free market" is the consumer's ability to TALK, and tell that retailer to pound sand, or ding them on Yelp or whatever...

It's a two way street, between the seller and buyer in a free market. But here, it seems heavily protective of the seller, and not the buyer. That's all I am saying. I don't think that us all yelling at each other helps anyone, but there should be some element of a Yelp type thing. If we can tag good deals to help promote them, then we should be able to ding them when they are out of line...

We really need a way to cut out the ‘auction‘ action on a bunch of these.
If you see something at a relatively decent price, you cant buy it at that price. That is considered the starting point for most.
When you post i will take it and follow up with a pm - no response. Then someone can post in the open AD that they will pay $XXX , then all of a sudden the OP comes back to life !

I'm of the 'buyer beware' school. Public bullying over pricing isn't appealing.

I've no idea how prevalent auctioning is. Personally, if I get an acceptable offer I sell. I don't really have a problem if someone receives multiple offers in a short time and chooses the deal that suits them best.

Anything that hints that a seller isn't free to sell to the person of their choice isn't acceptable to me.

I'm of the 'buyer beware' school. Public bullying over pricing isn't appealing.

I've no idea how prevalent auctioning is. Personally, if I get an acceptable offer I sell. I don't really have a problem if someone receives multiple offers in a short time and chooses the deal that suits them best.

Anything that hints that a seller isn't free to sell to the person of their choice isn't acceptable to me.
Yep. That is where the problem comes in.
Anything that does not tread on freedoms wont work.
And i am not for treading on freedom to sell/buy any way you want. So i guess we are stuck .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom