• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

A day of training the next generation.

Both of mine started at 3 with a "chipmunk" rifle, dot sight and an ripe tomato. Not only is shooting an ripe tomato fun to see, but it also lets the kids know this is more than just putting holes in paper or hearing a "ding". Things are destroyed when you shoot them.

Both now get more hours of training per month with true operators than most officers do in a year (thanks to dad's work). It's very cool to see a 10 year old hold their own in a stack with local SWAT guys. I've never be more proud than the day that a local team warmed up to my son. After the day of training was over the team leader asks my son if he would like to go through the shoot house with the team and my boy shouts "I sure would!". The guy tells my boy that he'll take good care of him, while looking over my son at me as if to ask for my permission. I tell him, "You might be surprised, this isn't the first time he's been in a stack going through a shoot house."

The third time the guys that stayed behind when through the house there was a bad guy in the house shooting back and I hear the team leader tell my son as they're stacking up at the door, "you got third spot this time. Cool?" "Yep, I'm good. Kick it in, lets get him!" was the response.

My son went from "We'll take care of you" to "You got my back?" in less than 30 minutes. The boy knows his stuff thanks to all of the great instructors.

OH and my sweet little girl will take a gun away from you and beat you with it if you dare get too close to her. She has taken to the Krav Maga like duck to water.

I love teaching Kids to shoot!

Both of mine started at 3 with a "chipmunk" rifle, dot sight and an ripe tomato. Not only is shooting an ripe tomato fun to see, but it also lets the kids know this is more than just putting holes in paper or hearing a "ding". Things are destroyed when you shoot them.
I think this is a key thing people dont do, I was never given toy guns that I can remember, but I do remember handling guns, under supervision, when I was young and knew the realities of what they can do. A hole in a paper dosent get the point across near as well.

Now I didnt have a custom kydex rig and my own glock to run, I had to use my dads... some folks have all the luck :p

Great to see kids learning right, some of my fondest memories are shooting with my Daddy and Brother when I was a kid.

NGaHB

Training children at very early ages (not just weapons handling) is a great way to plant their lifelong fundamentals. I am not sure my son knows how to be unsafe with a firearm.

Training children at very early ages (not just weapons handling) is a great way to plant their lifelong fundamentals. I am not sure my son knows how to be unsafe with a firearm.

^^This!^^
it goes beyond Spartan theory. It's about teaching and removing the forbidden fruit. Me personally, IMHO, I believe in teaching individual responsibility in all aspects or my kids lives.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 20
Back
Top Bottom