• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

A day of training the next generation.

Shrek926

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
152   0
Reaction score
Carried my two youngest to the range today. We needed to try out a load with her freshly finished 17 I modded.

Both had a great time, but above all we spent some quality time together. Fundamentals is always our opening drills. The physics of the draw, grip, sight picture, and trigger pull. 100 rounds of 9mm, 200 rounds of .22lr, and 50 rounds of 45 (yeah I slipped in some trigger time in on the Para project) and I came to realize something. I was the only adult out there with children.

Shane Adams and several others here have young children and they train with them. I invite you all to get out and train! Not just "pop caps" but teach your children to shoot straight, use proper fundamentals, always observe proper safety.... And above all train train TRAIN!!

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 69
"Girls, just wanna' have guns."
Well done sir. Here's hoping you enjoy many many years of shooting with them.

Her hero Katie Harris graduated High School today, so she wants to get good enough to be the new junior phenom from Bartow County. On that note... I want to give a huge shout out to Joe Harris. The man has a true heart for shooting sports and loves to encourage the next generation.

Carried my two youngest to the range today. We needed to try out a load with her freshly finished 17 I modded.

Both had a great time, but above all we spent some quality time together. Fundamentals is always our opening drills. The physics of the draw, grip, sight picture, and trigger pull. 100 rounds of 9mm, 200 rounds of .22lr, and 50 rounds of 45 (yeah I slipped in some trigger time in on the Para project) and I came to realize something. I was the only adult out there with children.

Shane Adams and several others here have young children and they train with them. I invite you all to get out and train! Not just "pop caps" but teach your children to shoot straight, use proper fundamentals, always observe proper safety.... And above all train train TRAIN!!

View attachment 195365View attachment 195366View attachment 195367View attachment 195368View attachment 195369View attachment 195370View attachment 195371

More people should be doing this with their children instead of teaching them to fear the weapon

Question for parents.

What age to let them start shooting?

Or what signs if maturity you waited to see?

My family had an arbitrary age set at 11.

Mine are each one different. The youngest is 7, my oldest (son) is 12. I let my son and 8 year old shoot at will under loose, but controlled supervision. I am never more than arms length from the youngest... And my oldest daughter.... Plays in the flowers and picks up brass.

The sooner you get them on the backside of a trigger to squeeze, IMHO the sooner you begin to build decision making and start removing that "forbidden fruit" syndrome the results in tragedy.

Back
Top Bottom