• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

$850 later...

The OP doesn't make **** up, so let's get that straight first and foremost.

The first trip, they put pads on and that was it. He told me when I picked it up that the rotors would need to be turned and the wheel hub and back brakes replaced soon. The front driver's side rotor had noticeable grooves being worn in to it. Incidentally, the front tires were wearing funny, particularly the driver's side. Now, I can not understand nor explain why they didn't do a test drive and see that the new pads were scrubbing like hell? On every rotation of the rotor, it would grab and that was when the front end would "bounce". The rotor was obviously warped? Yes, but thats vibration, not bouncing. Bouncing led me to beleive of a bearing failure and the hub no longer concentric on the spindle→ much larger problem.

I still trust the man that owns the shop. My issue is he is no longer doing the work and apparently not checking his employees work. And apparently the employees are not test driving and checking their own work. In addition, I questioned the overall cost of the job done. After checking prices on AutoZone and a few other supply places; wheel hubs range from $100-$400+. One particular hub at AutoZone, for my truck, is $320 + .07% tax gives us $342; so I am assuming this is the hub used? I don't know how long it took to do the job, but was charged for 3 hours labor. I posted the prices earlier in this thread. His integrity was/is not in question. His overseeing of his employees is what I question in addition to cost. Hope that clears it up? Not used, maybe re-manufactured. 3 hours is in line with a hub and rotor/pad install.

ETA: I hadn't paid him yet for the first job done. I thought he was going to do all 4 sets of brakes on that first trip so I asked him to rotate my tires since they would be off anyway. Since they didn't do the back brakes, I may have had to pay for the tire rotation? I haven't talked to the owner yet, I will find out when I do.Seriously doubt that as the wheels had to come off anyways. Rotate should always be done with balancing them. If balanced, you may incur a fee/charge→ extra time and tire balancer usage

If this was the scenario, then yes, $850 is a descent price. Still doesn't excuse the no test drive situation, but just seems like an employee had a case of HUA.

Also, if your rotors were grooved, they probably chewed some good life out of those new pads. Although pads are not too expensive, they will have quite a few miles life less depending on how bad the rotors were and having to get re-seated to the new rotors.

These details make alot more sense, although its crazy a mechanic would even put just new pads on warped/grooved rotors. Surprised he didn't say "I cant risk the liability".

Well,....I'd personally want to know what ballpark figure I was looking at...instead of just giving the guy carte blanc.

I gave him a $$ amount that I had in my pocket at the time. He only went $250 over that amount. :)

Now that I have calmed down since the initial post. Done some research, read y'all's posts; maybe $850 isn't so bad? I still need to talk to the owner and let him know what his employees are putting out on the street in his name.

I gave him a $$ amount that I had in my pocket at the time. He only went $250 over that amount. :)

Now that I have calmed down since the initial post. Done some research, read y'all's posts; maybe $850 isn't so bad? I still need to talk to the owner and let him know what his employees are putting out on the street in his name.

Bingo, hopefully he addresses the issue and takes corrective active to ensure this does not continue. $850 is not bad. Pads (good ones) all 4 corners → $85-$100. Rotors, all 4 corners, generic brand (non-OEM)→$180-$250, hub, mid grade choice from your research → $350. Thats $700 for just parts. I think $850 is fair on this given the full details of what happened.

Well,....I'd personally want to know what ballpark figure I was looking at...instead of just giving the guy carte blanc.

Me too.... That's why you don't tell em to fix it cheap and leave it to there own discretion. Good repairs aren't and cheap repairs aren't good.
Bingo, hopefully he addresses the issue and takes corrective active to ensure this does not continue. $850 is not bad. Pads (good ones) all 4 corners → $85-$100. Rotors, all 4 corners, generic brand (non-OEM)→$180-$250, hub, mid grade choice from your research → $350. Thats $700 for just parts. I think $850 is fair on this given the full details of what happened.

For sure, If you change a unit bearing in your drive way you will agree it was fair.

Back
Top Bottom