• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

$850 later...

lftd&pwrstrok'n

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
Sith Dark Lord
247   0
Reaction score
Long story short, brakes went out of truck last week. Well, technically didn't go out, but went from everything is fine to earth shattering, soul stealing, mama hide your babies, scrubbing/squeeling over night. Took it to mechanic, and foolishly told him to fix it as cheaply as possible. That was a huge mistake. Got truck back the next day and it was worse than when I took it in. Still scrubbing and squeeling, but now pulling really bad and entire front end bouncing. Pretty sure something broke on the way back to the mechanic on Tuesday night.

Now back w/ a new wheel hub, all 4 rotors turned and all 4 brake pads replaced.

But, had to have them readjust the front driver's side again since it was still scrubbing.

So, my question is: does $850 sound like a decent price for the above work on a 03 F250 4 wheel drive w/ 8" lift? I may be in the market for a new mechanic's shop. My guy has always done me right in the past, but it seems as if he's priorities are more focused on his drag car than on customers. And, he isn't checking up on his employee's work.

Sounds high without new rotors. Hubs range from 70-200$ and pads arent that expensive. Prob a 2hr job at most.

$850 makes a nice racin' engine payment.

Pads and even turning rotors DIY is $200 tops. Was the noise coming from the brakes or a bad hub?

Sounds high without new rotors. Hubs range from 70-200$ and pads arent that expensive. Prob a 2hr job at most.

That's what I was thinking too. From the invoice:

Front: turn rotors and new pads: $144.00 parts/$75.00 labor
Rear: turn rotors and new pads: $90.00 parts/$75.00 labor
Front wheel hub: $338.85 parts/$75.00 labor
Shop supplies: $7.00

$850 makes a nice boat payment.

Pads and even turning rotors DIY is $200 tops. Was the noise coming from the brakes or a bad hub?

Probably a combination of both. The hub has been making a noise off and on for a few months. I knew it was going bad, but was told (by my mechanic) that is wasn't that bad yet, but would need replacing soon.

Well you def got gang banged on that hub. Also labor should of been adjusted since the rotors were already off. Id be changing shops or start working on that thing yourself

Long story short, brakes went out of truck last week. Well, technically didn't go out, but went from everything is fine to earth shattering, soul stealing, mama hide your babies, scrubbing/squeeling over night. Took it to mechanic, and foolishly told him to fix it as cheaply as possible. That was a huge mistake. Got truck back the next day and it was worse than when I took it in. Still scrubbing and squeeling, but now pulling really bad and entire front end bouncing. Pretty sure something broke on the way back to the mechanic on Tuesday night.

Now back w/ a new wheel hub, all 4 rotors turned and all 4 brake pads replaced.

But, had to have them readjust the front driver's side again since it was still scrubbing.

So, my question is: does $850 sound like a decent price for the above work on a 03 F250 4 wheel drive w/ 8" lift? I may be in the market for a new mechanic's shop. My guy has always done me right in the past, but it seems as if he's priorities are more focused on his drag car than on customers. And, he isn't checking up on his employee's work.
I just spent about the same on my Silverado....they replaced the calipers too though.

Btw if it was shaking frob brakes being applied a warped rotor is prob a culprit. On a big lifted superduty youd be better off buying new rotors, atleast on the front. You pretty much almost paid for them anyways. I think last time i did all new rotors and pads, i paid less than 500. Been awhile since i had a 250 though

Well you def got gang banged on that hub. Also labor should of been adjusted since the rotors were already off. Id be changing shops or start working on that thing yourself

I will be looking for a new shop. Working on it myself isn't an option. A) I have no where to work on it and B) I have no means to get this beast off the ground.

Back
Top Bottom