• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

'70 Hemi Cuda with 81 original miles...

One of my dream cars. The other dream car was bought by Richard Rawlings from Gas Monkey. He bought a '71 DeTomaso Pantera built by the Ring Bros @ Barrett/Jackson for 300k!

5.0 in a 240.

200-275 HP, in a 3,000 pound car. Would be just as slow as an older 5.0/4.6 Mustang unless you dump a bunch of cash on a good trans, cam, heads, and intake.

Stock Ls1 or LQ4 would be cheaper and way more fun"
Well the thing is I'm just not a Chevy guy. I love the 240 and 740 coupes and wagons. And there's a guy on YouTube named Bjork something that has a beat up 242 with a huge turbo. He just thrashes that car. Its amazing what those heavy ass Swede cars can do.
As I said I'm not a Chevy guy . But for some reason I want to build a 305 and shove it in the lightest car I can find. Like a Monza or Vega. I know, the 305 sucks and a 350 fits in the same hole yadda yadda yadda. But it occurred to me that there must be a **** load of 305 motors out there going unloved and unused.

Well the thing is I'm just not a Chevy guy. I love the 240 and 740 coupes and wagons. And there's a guy on YouTube named Bjork something that has a beat up 242 with a huge turbo. He just thrashes that car. Its amazing what those heavy ass Swede cars can do.
As I said I'm not a Chevy guy . But for some reason I want to build a 305 and shove it in the lightest car I can find. Like a Monza or Vega. I know, the 305 sucks and a 350 fits in the same hole yadda yadda yadda. But it occurred to me that there must be a **** load of 305 motors out there going unloved and unused.
Unloved, unused, un running, burnt valves, pre-mature worn valve seals/guides, blown head gaskets. I love Chevy motors, but the 305 was a failure and isn't worth wasting time on. Can't get any power out of then and they are very weak overall.

Unloved, unused, un running, burnt valves, pre-mature worn valve seals/guides, blown head gaskets. I love Chevy motors, but the 305 was a failure and isn't worth wasting time on. Can't get any power out of then and they are very weak overall.
The motor was fine after 78 -80
Less displacement but essentially the same. The 305 HO heads made any small block Chevy come alive.
Nice thing is, the smaller displacement makes the cams sound more aggressive.

You seem mechanically knowledgeable so I can't debate it with you. But the funny part about it is that this is the same answer I get from damn near all Chevy\ GM guys about the 305. I will readily admit that its nowhere near as appealing as the 350. But I don't see how it could be called an all around failure given how long GM used them.

The motor was fine after 78 -80
Less displacement but essentially the same. The 305 HO heads made any small block Chevy come alive.
Nice thing is, the smaller displacement makes the cams sound more aggressive.
HO and Vortex heads gave them low 200ish HP, far from alive. I suppose given the time period they came out, it was "ok".

Not sure what you mean by the smaller engine/cam reference maybe more of a difference as how mild the lift/duration is on 305 motors in general.

Back
Top Bottom