• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

41P final ruling

What are you saying? That only new trust have to go through pics and fingerprinting?

Here is the department response, from page 198 of the ruling.

Department Response
The final rule is not retroactive and therefore the final rule will not apply to applications that are in "pending" status, or to previously approved applications for existing legal entities and trusts holding NFA items.

The way I interpret that is that if you have a NFA trust now, with trustee, co-trustee and beneficiaries but don't purchase any more NFA devices, they aren't going to expect everyone named in the trust to submit photos, fingerprints etc. for Forms that are pending, or have been approved already. However, if you go and buy a new NFA device on that same trust, everyone on the trust will be subject to the new requirements.

So basically what I got....there is no longer a benefit from filing under a trust vs as an individual?

Except with a trust your trustees can be in possession of any NFA items owned by the trust. They do make estate planning easier as well so your family doesn't have to file a free form 5 to take possession of your NFA items when you pass.

For me, it's not worth the 30 bucks it would cost to get every trustee fingerprinted and passport photos for, not to mention my wife wouldn't be too happy about having to go get fingerprinted in the first place.

LARGO9 LARGO9 , what are you after? I would move quick, I would suspect the ATF to get flooded again and wait times to jump back up to 9 months plus like they were after Sandy Hook very quickly.

Back
Top Bottom