• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1860 Army Blackhawk

I spect we'll be steppin out together in clean jeans and dayum well stuffed holsters long about 29 Oct when he arrives for the first of three hunting trips! Prolly have ta smoke some cigars and drive round in an ol blue 65 chevy truck. Me wearin the lightning cross draw and drivin and him wearin the Army strong side and blowin smoke rings!

I can't wait to get wood on the grip. Thumbin the bisley hammer back and hell, I wrapped a balla tape around the grip tonight.....this ones gonna be a pointer I think.

The springway is now completed. Cross drilled tonight for the retention pin and installed the try spring. Its sits in good and dosn't bind or pinch.

i.imgur.com_yflyjap.jpg

For assembly and test function, the current main components of the grip. Two piece grip frame and two of the three springs needed to function the weapon.

i.imgur.com_WGzTlSW.jpg

Install the trigger guard with the return spring on the pad of the trigger.

i.imgur.com_jAuGq07.jpg

Install the mainspring and its foot.

i.imgur.com_X5L2XrQ.jpg

Install the back strap.

i.imgur.com_tn73xpr.jpg

Even without a permanent anchor point for the trigger return spring, we have perfect function. Now to decide on the shape and size of the returnspring rear anchor and whether to silver solder or affix it to the back strap by another means. Also I have two spare springs so I'll try making up a one legged spring for better trigger pull.

One spring to go and one hole to fill/relocate and its lookin like I'm going to have to order bluing and screws and grip wood here pretty quick.

Well. Bungholio and Von Stinkenheimer both said it couldn't be done. Glad I didn't listen cause here it is. Last Ruger Spring assembly in place in the 1860 Army Colt brass two piece grip frame, installed and initial function checks completed. Full function, complete rotation, lock up, unlocking with loading gate, no hitch in the trigger or hammer assembly, I see no reason not to pronounce the adaptation of the 1860 Army Colt grip frame to the New Model Ruger Blackhawk a "Success So Far" and predicting successful trials with dummy and live ammunition in the future.

For now.....bloodwood and Pilkingtons is inbound. Short of one hole in the brass triggerguard to relocate, there is nothing left to do on this gun but tweak mechanicals and commence cosmetic restoration.

Drilling the cylinder stop spring hole was an exercise in multiple angles. It is a 1/8" hole deep into the front bow of the triggerguard. Once located I drilled successive hole diameters adjusting angle of attack as I went to approximate the lean to the right and to the rear of the Ruger spring and plunger assembly.

In these photos you see its pretty close....given the successful function, close seems to be close enough.

i.imgur.com_9O75iI6.jpg

i.imgur.com_CChYL3i.jpg

The third and final ruger coil spring to be installed on this old flat spring grip frame....

i.imgur.com_f74qUli.jpg

Cylinder stop held upwards under spring power!

i.imgur.com_f4I0Wn0.jpg

Many cycles of the now fully assembled 1974 Blackhawk with the 1860 Army Colt grip frame and the boltstop and every part functions as intended!

i.imgur.com_MrfvfcL.jpg

Finally, a well deserved tipple. And thank the Gungods I didn't listen to the Doomsayers.

[Broken External Image]:

I've sure enjoyed watching ya bring it together, thanks for the postings and all. Looking forward to the cosmetics now.

Back
Top Bottom