• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1860 Army Blackhawk

Sharps40

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
4   0
Reaction score
This may be premature. I ain't made no measurements yet. And I see that #1 Tardeddoggy has given both a healty slobber snort while I had my back turned.....but, with a bit of luck I hope to marry the Slimmer Finer 1860 Colt Army 44 brass grip to the new model Ruger Blackhawk. I think we'll be leaving the barrel around 5 to 5.5" for use as a hunter.....5 being the minimum length for handgun hunting deer and such in many states. If this 2 piece/flat spring grip is a no go then perhaps a true Birds Head grip or better, a custom birdshead shape. Grips I'm leaning towards redwood burl or bloodwood.

So, as a place holder while I sip good Bourbon and think over the road ahead.....

i.imgur.com_ZEyx7BD.jpg

Last edited:
I think it will look cool!! It should mate up just fine... May have to hone a bit here n there with a stone, but I don't think it'll be much problem. Is the trigger on the Army the same length? It looks a s if the trigger assy may be slightly diff??
the frame grip frame is all you would be changing anyhow, right?

The overall condition seems great. Plenty tight and timed well. A few freckles but the bluing is pretty darn good. Number one on the list was peeling back them dayumed ugly pachmeyers, why anybody'd put em on a single action while still sober is beyond me. But...there ain't no stupid locking mechanism under there so I'm happy!....

I think it will look cool!! It should mate up just fine... May have to hone a bit here n there with a stone, but I don't think it'll be much problem. Is the trigger on the Army the same length? It looks a s if the trigger assy may be slightly diff??
the frame grip frame is all you would be changing anyhow, right?

Don't know. Havn't busted em down yet. If it'll work I have some iders in mind for converting the flat spring colt grip frame to retain ruger coil springs and still havin the one piece grip....I think!

Ah, but those 70-80s models are the best....I kinda like the older three screw models better though. But for strength you can't beat the new models.

I've got 4 sets of those stag grips .... 2 super BH and 2 standard BH. I was lucky...they came from my father. They are nice for sure. Then I've got some genuine ivory too ! Just 1 set. (Sorry , no ready pics)

Rough measurement of the frame and grip with calipers indicates the widths and heights are close, may work. The trigger guard area is wider than the Ruger Frame too, so we should be able to fit the cheep part to the spensive part.

Eyeball wise, screw holes appear close....I'll know more when I try to fit some parts for the first time.

Looking at the two grips together.....I like the 1860 and beat up walnut lots more than the rubber Stinkmeyers.

No medallion and no grip screw....smaller and rounder too.

i.imgur.com_NWHqfQZ.jpg

Here the 1860 overlaid onto the New Model Blackhawk and the Suckwilies rubber grip....

i.imgur.com_5SGUpMh.jpg

And here, the 1860 compared to a vintage and near like new in box Old Model (3 Screw, 1968) 357 Blackhawk. The 1860 grip is rounder and a scooch longer, more pinkie wrap friendly and what you can't see.....when installed it should be a bit closer to the trigger....

i.imgur.com_wq4jFsp.jpg

Back
Top Bottom