• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1860 Army Blackhawk

Woops...here we go for real....

Smith J frame or J frame 357 noseing and initial shaping of a similar undercut on the fat bull nose of the Ruger. More to do in smoothing and shapeing but for now, ears to remove out back.

i.imgur.com_0FSW2y8.jpg

i.imgur.com_ApiL1jY.jpg

i.imgur.com_kidQk5M.jpg

i.imgur.com_pqsu6TM.jpg

i.imgur.com_7WzPO3U.jpg

i.imgur.com_aUDLzf2.jpg

Yeah, blackhawks is rather thick! Like the sturdy pesant gal at the county fair that always wins the hotdog and pie eatin contests, back to back.....THICK!

What we left off with is a simple back bevel on the nose of the top strap.

i.imgur.com_uFpk0cm.jpg

Bringing the new nose shape up to about 90%. Some work rounding over the bevel previously laid on. Trim the ears of the back next and finish up the shaping of the top strap front to rear.

i.imgur.com_EVgTwRQ.jpg

i.imgur.com_fPo2ESp.jpg

Its good to have photos. Ya can zoom in a bit and get an idea where more or less work needs to be done. In this case, a bit more work is needed at 10 oclock.

i.imgur.com_ct1VL2O.jpg

Ears gone off the back. Flat Top now. With the original deck as a guide, simple draw filing removes the ears. Stop when the bluing just disappears across the top to keep it level and straight. No need for a mill, its no different than draw filing a barrel or flat action receiver to remove pitts.

i.imgur.com_vgmpoz3.jpg

The edges will need some scribed lines and then break over the edges front to back. No need for such a chunky look. The limiting factor is the cross pin hole for the rear sight. Rounding or beveling that gets aggressive and you need to shape with the pin in place since it'll have an oval face when done.

i.imgur.com_kJl7eYa.jpg

A bit closer look at the new nosing and the new flat deck...

i.imgur.com_Qgqvt7Q.jpg

Not all Blackhawks are drilled low enough in the rear sight to allow full removal of the ears. This one is so.....no more ears.

i.imgur.com_2sESLOH.jpg

The original flat spring is annealed and drilled and bent to shape to form a try foot for the ruger coil mainspring. Here is the initial fit.....

i.imgur.com_OQnEKjs.jpg

A little upward bend to find the proper position for the foot with the hammer fully forward.

i.imgur.com_wsEVch2.jpg

With the hammer back we'll still be able to capture the mainspring and strut for disassembly and cleaning.

i.imgur.com_hOgpyzI.jpg

And with the hammer fully back the try foot shows no interference with the lower loop of the grip.

i.imgur.com_mKbuZmM.jpg

So far so good. I'll finalize the mainspring foot before moving on. The New Model Blackhawk has three springs mounting in four places in the grip frame. It'll be simpler to tackle them one at a time and make sure each works right and in concert with the next by going one step at a time.

Back
Top Bottom