• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

13 year old homeschooler... not your average bear...

How interesting. My wife doesn't even have a clue about this discussion but this was spoken to her today, on the phone, directly from a Dual Enrollment ACCEL Program Admin at Dalton State College. Verbatim.

"We are finding that homeschoolers are faring far BETTER in the dual enrollment program than traditionally schooled kids. We are currently conducting a study supporting this information."

Of course, this is only for the dual enrollment program at Dalton State but it supports why we homeschool.

Hi all, new to the site obviously..stumbled on this post.

I respectfully disagree with ch035, and have a bit of insight to offer...as I was homeschooled K-12.

Homeschooled students by and large excel at academics in my experience. Not all of course, but most turn out to be very good and motivated learners. This is spite of the notion that their mothers are not qualified to teach because of their lack of education. This is my case as well, as my mom didn't graduate from college, choosing instead to stay at home to raise her family. My mom probably isn't qualified to teach math past 8th grade, but she located resources to cover that deficiency and others. She was NOT an easy teacher, by the time I made to to college, I had seen a lot of hard exams. I did not see a college exam as hard as my high school exams until I was taking junior and senior classes. Thanks to wonderful preparation and a lot of hard work, I finished a 5 year program in 4 years.

The social aspect is where the major criticism lays, and some of that is deservedly so. One thing I will point out: the family's choices shape their children. If the kids are naturally shut-ins, that can be shaped differently to some degree. Homeschool groups are common, I had field trips, play days, and band practice even though I did my school work at home. There was some adjustment when I went to college, but I fit in reasonably well. There was little stigma of being homeschooled, many of my friends told me they wished that they had that opportunity.

Now, I'm not saying that homeschooled kids are perfect. Nor that homeschooling is *always* superior to public schools. Home schooling children is a lot of effort, and not all parents are willing to put the time in that is necessary to make it work. If you're not willing to put in the work, please put your kids in a public school...they'll be better off. But if you are willing to put an effort to it, it can be an amazing foundation to build on.

I respectfully disagree with ch035, and have a bit of insight to offer...as I was homeschooled K-12.

Homeschooled students by and large excel at academics in my experience. Not all of course, but most turn out to be very good and motivated learners. This is spite of the notion that their mothers are not qualified to teach because of their lack of education. This is my case as well, as my mom didn't graduate from college, choosing instead to stay at home to raise her family. My mom probably isn't qualified to teach math past 8th grade, but she located resources to cover that deficiency and others. She was NOT an easy teacher, by the time I made to to college, I had seen a lot of hard exams. I did not see a college exam as hard as my high school exams until I was taking junior and senior classes. Thanks to wonderful preparation and a lot of hard work, I finished a 5 year program in 4 years.

The social aspect is where the major criticism lays, and some of that is deservedly so. One thing I will point out: the family's choices shape their children. If the kids are naturally shut-ins, that can be shaped differently to some degree. Homeschool groups are common, I had field trips, play days, and band practice even though I did my school work at home. There was some adjustment when I went to college, but I fit in reasonably well. There was little stigma of being homeschooled, many of my friends told me they wished that they had that opportunity.

Now, I'm not saying that homeschooled kids are perfect. Nor that homeschooling is *always* superior to public schools. Home schooling children is a lot of effort, and not all parents are willing to put the time in that is necessary to make it work. If you're not willing to put in the work, please put your kids in a public school...they'll be better off. But if you are willing to put an effort to it, it can be an amazing foundation to build on.

Nice first post, BTW, welcome to the ODT!

Welcome! and wise words...Like the fact that when the parents did not have the knowledge they made it available to you..You will go far in life,

Welcome. And thanks for the post. I guess my concern lies less with on paper academics and test scores. I feel that learning from someone who cares enough about the subject (any subject) to get a degree in it, and then make it a career offers a better overall learning experience. My wife is very smart, she can read a book on biology, then make sure my kid understands it and can score well on a test. The problem is she doesn't care about biology. There is no interest outside making sure the test is passed. And there is no way she is cutting up a frog, cow eye, piglet etc. change gears to public school. Kid is in school, surrounded by others, listening to others questions, being taught by someone who truly cares about biology and has years of experience to offer outside of the test book.

Welcome. And thanks for the post. I guess my concern lies less with on paper academics and test scores. I feel that learning from someone who cares enough about the subject (any subject) to get a degree in it, and then make it a career offers a better overall learning experience. My wife is very smart, she can read a book on biology, then make sure my kid understands it and can score well on a test. The problem is she doesn't care about biology. There is no interest outside making sure the test is passed. And there is no way she is cutting up a frog, cow eye, piglet etc. change gears to public school. Kid is in school, surrounded by others, listening to others questions, being taught by someone who truly cares about biology and has years of experience to offer outside of the test book.

Do you live on planet Earth by any chance?

Back
Top Bottom