• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

13 year old homeschooler... not your average bear...

lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 60
Welcome. And thanks for the post. I guess my concern lies less with on paper academics and test scores. I feel that learning from someone who cares enough about the subject (any subject) to get a degree in it, and then make it a career offers a better overall learning experience. My wife is very smart, she can read a book on biology, then make sure my kid understands it and can score well on a test. The problem is she doesn't care about biology. There is no interest outside making sure the test is passed. And there is no way she is cutting up a frog, cow eye, piglet etc. change gears to public school. Kid is in school, surrounded by others, listening to others questions, being taught by someone who truly cares about biology and has years of experience to offer outside of the test book.
If you really do care to learn more about home-schooling, look into the Co-op's. Kids take classes two days a week with degree'd/certified teachers and work from home the rest of the week.

I guess what I'm envisioning is a private school. What's a private school class to teacher ratio look like.

Smaller class sizes than 45:1. Maybe 15:1?

Lol I thought of the perfect compromise that would accomplish what we both wanted with minimal compromise on both ends... Then it hit me. Oh yea that's a private school. Lol
Thanks for the warm welcome y'all.I understand what you're saying about paper scores, here in Louisiana you're describing the public schools though. They "teach the test" and turn out those poor folks that are lost without their calculator or smartphone. On the other hand, we totally dissected sheep's brain, cow heart, and cow eyes :) The moms were/are really passionate about finding the best for their kids. And you're absolutely right, a good private school is on the same level as homeschool, maybe even above it. We couldn't have afforded it even if there had been a good one in this area to attend. Bitter reality there I guess...I don't regret it though.

Back
Top Bottom