• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

YOUR AR15 PREFFERED PARTS AND WHY

I see guys running a vltor a5 buffer kit paired bcm builds. Can you school me? Is it for recoil management, felt recoil, or length of pull? I've never used one so I'm just curious. :)

The Vltor A5 buffer system can be used with any gas system; it’s not specific to any particular one. Pistol, carbine, midlength, and proprietary length systems can all use the Vltor system. I use it on every gun I build, regardless of caliber or gas system length.

It doesn’t have anything to do with a system being overgassed, or under-gassed, and it isn’t a bandaid to correct a problem. It is an improved buffer system to enhance reliability and felt recoil in all systems.

The buffer tube is slightly longer, it uses Vltor’s proprietary buffers, and a rifle length spring. All of this is done for increased reliability. If set up properly, it also results in a smoother, softer felt recoil impulse.

The gold standard for reliability in a buffer system was always the M16A2 service rifle system. All the carbine and pistol systems are a cut down version of the rifle system, with reduced reliability. The USMC did a thorough test of all the available aftermarket buffer systems for the M4 carbine, and compared them to the M16A2 rifle buffer system. The Vltor A5 system beat the M16A2 rifle system for reliability.

ahhh I gotcha. I guess I should have said I see guys run it on 10.3s and 11.5s which I'm guessing it would help with over gassed systems, but I see the application youre using it for. I never ran a midlength so it never came to mind. Thanks for the info!
It’s a benefit on any length system, I shouldn’t have made it sound like it’s only good for midlength gun. Think of it as an evolution of the AR platform, the others work, the A5 just improved upon them.

Edit: cmshoot summarized it better than me. No surprise there.

Back
Top Bottom