• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Which Survival Food do you reccomend?

Dont buy much wise food till you try it.
Me and alot of friends got the bubble guts from it.

or you could sell it with immodium tablets taped to the package..lol

I prefer mountain house,but thats just my 2 cents.

I recently bought a few tubs of the Wise and haven't tried it yet, so I guess I'll have to give it the old college try. I agree with you on Mountain House though. Those are tried and tested. Wise does make it really convenient though, so I'm good with having some of it for that reason if no other.

Mountain House, Gourmet Reserves/Alpine Aire, Wise, Aguason Farms, Thrive-Shelf Reliance and Honeyville Grain all make decent products. They all have their winners and losers.....but like anything else it boils down to individual preferences. There is a company on NC that makes freeze dried food which is pretty darn good. You can buy wholesale and repackage in mylar or #10 cans with oxygen absorbers. The company is called Harmony House Foods.

http://www.harmonyhousefoods.com/Freeze-Dried-Fruit_c_3-2-0.htmlttp://

Have you though about setting up a packaging station (similar to the LDS operations) where people can come in a pack out their bulk food purchases in mylar bags and #10 cans.

Last edited:
outside of what everyone else has said, as a consumer and one who has ate MRE's alot, this is what I would look for when purchasing "food"

1. Shelf Life (no sense of spending big money if it wont last)
2. cost (stuffs expensive, but could compromise for cheaper stuff and rotate inventory)
3. Selection (only so much hamburger pattie with tobasco I can eat)
4. Taste (If I can spend another dollar and get something that taste better, Im doing it)
5. Preperation (do I have to have a heater, water etc or can I just open and eat, might make a difference)

We buy Mountain House on a regular basis. Let me be very clear. If you stock Mountain House #10 cans and stock a great selection AND run sales equivalent to beprepared.com (25% off on occasion with very reasonable shipping) I will be one of your regular customers. Peope are looking at multiple suppliers, so you have to be competitive on pricing.

If you accept cash payment and pickup of bulk orders, that's even better.

Other than Mountain House, we also buy Thrive foods from Shelf Reliance.

We buy super pails locally, and there's a small but growing market for those. Contact BreadBeckers - maybe you can set up a deal where they'll supply you with grain buckets at wholesale that you can resell at retail prices.

I have a long list of items we are actively stocking up on. I prefer name brands I can trust, not off brands that have questionable quality or shelf life.

Both willr1 and Chris Mac bring up some very good points. I pack my own super pails of grain and legumes as I can do it cheaper as opposed to doing it through the LDS or BreadBeckers (both organizations are a great alternative if you do not want to buy on your own and pack it yourself).

anyone know if there is an LDS store in Atlanta that is open to the public? seems I saw there was one somewhere...

other than that, Mountain House and Alpine Aire are both well known backpacking foods that have always been a staple when it comes to long distance backpacking and have been around for a long time. I've eaten my fair share of both and they are good.

anyone know if there is an LDS store in Atlanta that is open to the public? seems I saw there was one somewhere...

other than that, Mountain House and Alpine Aire are both well known backpacking foods that have always been a staple when it comes to long distance backpacking and have been around for a long time. I've eaten my fair share of both and they are good.

LDS used to have store/packing facility at their Tucker property. Not sure if it is still in operation.

kudzu tactical/the survival store on cobb pkwy in marietta has a variety of freeze dried including gourmet reserves in stock ready to go...also mre's,mountain house,backpacker's pantry...pails of wheat,rice,beans...water filters,canners and canning supplies...ammo,first aid,lights,knives...lots more and they are odt sponsors...

kudzu tactical/the survival store on cobb pkwy in marietta has a variety of freeze dried including gourmet reserves in stock ready to go...also mre's,mountain house,backpacker's pantry...pails of wheat,rice,beans...water filters,canners and canning supplies...ammo,first aid,lights,knives...lots more and they are odt sponsors...

and wise too :)

Back
Top Bottom