• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Which cleaning kit do I buy?

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Some things that I have tried in the past and liked are Bore Tips and Swab-its. You can clean them with mineral spirits and reuse them a few times.

palmettomoon palmettomoon , could I use the 20 caliber Tipton rod on everything bigger than 20 caliber like my shotgun, or do I really have to buy one for every caliber?

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Some things that I have tried in the past and liked are Bore Tips and Swab-its. You can clean them with mineral spirits and reuse them a few times.

palmettomoon palmettomoon , could I use the 20 caliber Tipton rod on everything bigger than 20 caliber like my shotgun, or do I really have to buy one for every caliber?

I use the same one one from .223 to .311 but can't speak to the shotgun question.

I'd get a shotgun rod for shotguns. I like using 30 cal rods for 30 cal rifles and 22 cal for smaller. If you shoot a .17, get that rod. They cost about $35 each and while that may seem expensive, I use some I bought in 1993 still today. Steel, one piece, coated or stainless rods are my favorites. Carbon fiber are nice too, just don't have any of those in anything other than .50 cal and .22.

Bore snakes will do in a pinch, if you don't have a rod/kit at hand. Some swear by them but I don't see them as a substitute for a good rod/jag/brush kit.

I'd get a shotgun rod for shotguns. I like using 30 cal rods for 30 cal rifles and 22 cal for smaller. If you shoot a .17, get that rod. They cost about $35 each and while that may seem expensive, I use some I bought in 1993 still today. Steel, one piece, coated or stainless rods are my favorites. Carbon fiber are nice too, just don't have any of those in anything other than .50 cal and .22.
10-4. The shotgun is the only large bore gun that I have. All the rest are 20 or 30 caliber.

10-4. The shotgun is the only large bore gun that I have. All the rest are 20 or 30 caliber.
You can get by with a small rod but bigger bores do better with a stiffer rod.
giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom