• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

When one turbo just simply won't do!

Interesting read. From what I've been seeing they're still very likely to be the first thing to fail, at relatively low mileage.

Interesting read. From what I've been seeing they're still very likely to be the first thing to fail, at relatively low mileage.
Yeah I have never been a fan of turbo engines. Procharger supercharger I think is a better option if you just have to go forced induction. It just doesn't creat the extreme heat generated by turbo driven engines. I mean they have there place but not for a street machine. Cubic inches, highest compression you can get by with in pump gas and nitrous. Only down side is you have to refill the system. Procharger is a good forced induction option. They can be rebuilt and they run cooler.

The biggest problem with turbos is when you shut the car off the impeller is still spinning at a high rate of speed. Also the oil circulation stops and you get that burnt oil ( sticktion ) built up inside the turbo. The oiling systems they have on them have made them more reliable than the old ones but they still are spinning at a high rate of RPMs when you turn the key off. A procharger ( centrifugal type ) forced induction system stops spinning quick when the engine is killed.

I think I finally understand the word "twin turbo".....that has been bothering me for a while....I actually thought they were using 2 turbo's....the explanation makes since...to me at least

Using synthetic oil and idling the motor for 30 to 60 seconds before shutdown will usually extend the life of the turbos. I never shutdown after using full boost without staying off boost for a few minutes. I just take it easy when I am getting close to a destinatio.pn

Back
Top Bottom