• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Whats Worng with my babby?

Your freakin battery is almost dead and you've been neglecting it. Get a battery tender if you're not going to man up and ride in the winter.

never mind
just trying to help
this is something i see 4 or 5 times a year
so in the end you can do as you like
but it is a bad idea to jump a bike with a car.

I'm sure as a wrench you do see that, but how many did you actually see? I've had customers come in with all types of excuses of why something is burnt, especially in cars n bikes. After tear down and inspection you can tell which direction current came in from ie, reversed jump cables,over voltage rating, and exposure time. I don't doubt you one bit that you've seen it, cause I have too, and most cases in car to car jumps. Or marine to car jumps.

V=IR
Voltage is set by the voltage of the battery or other DC power source. Resistance is set by the configuration of the electrical system. Current is determined by those two things. If you didn't change the configuration of a 12v electrical system, the current drawn will be the exact same at any given point in the electrical system regardless of what 12v DC power supply you use. Use a 12v motorcycle battery, 12v car battery, multiple 12v truck batteries in parallel, or a 12v rectifier and you'll have the same resistance and current drawn in the system. If someone tells you otherwise, they don't understand basic electricity.

As in it takes one amp to push one watt thru one ohm? Ya, this is precisley why this is bad. You're jamming high amps through tiny little wiring and diodes, which then fries stuff. And burns the contacts on the armeture and brushes on he starter etc etc.
But maybe it won't ever happen. Like firing that one bullet through that one chamber but not the other. Some rifle or something like that.
I have to respectfully disagree with not being able to jump a motorcycle battery with a car battery. The electrical system will only draw the amps it needs. They're both running on 12v systems. I have done this without any issues on Yamaha, Suzuki and Bmw bikes.

Back
Top Bottom