• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Whats Worng with my babby?

Correct, 12vdc is 12vdc. The amount current pushed instead of drawn would be the problem. Each component would draw a specific amount of amps when needed. But when you load 12vdc at 30amps into 500ma diode, resistor,ic...etc.... that is where the "circuit overload would occur" take in the fact of the gauge and length of cable/wire going to the CPU/ecu or any electronic device. Most cables other than the battery cable are from 14-20 awg and wouldn't hold 40 amps continuous for 10 seconds before turning into char if the the fuse panel didn't load up before the component did.
But yes, jumping a bike off a car battery is fine, your starter will only want a peak of 20-30 amps. Unless you were forcing amperage which is unnatural mechanics you won't have any problems.

Last edited:
Pic 4 u 2
i371.photobucket.com_albums_oo156_daehopaul_B7DE622E_8A49_43EEac0dc16e4f5350729b8a125f008b4aca.jpg

12vdc and high current 12vdc are two different scenarios. They will both follow the circuit but one will chew some circuit up along the way.
I could full field an alternator for example. But you rev it up in a test state like that and every bulb and fuse will pop. Still 12 volts. Just a damage inducing 12volts.
Apparently, N34 just got called, someone got a bingo!

That's incorrect, full fielding an alternator will lead to a higher voltage and that can cause damage to electronics. The alternator does not charge by producing voltage, it's the amperage that does the work. That part that controls the output is called a voltage regulator for a reason, it reacts to voltage only, it has no clue what the amp output is. When a battery approaches full charge, the voltage level rises and the voltage regulator will reduce the field current to reduce the alternator's output. Current draws are controlled by the load on the circuit, having a higher available CCA will just keep voltage from dropping as much during starter operation.

Last edited:
That's incorrect, full fielding an alternator will lead to a higher voltage and that can cause damage to electronics. The alternator does not charge by producing voltage, it's the amperage that does the work. That part that controls the output is called a voltage regulator for a reason, it reacts to voltage only, it has no clue what the amp output is. When a battery approaches full charge, the voltage level rises and the voltage regulator will reduce the field current to reduce the alternator's output. Current draws are controlled by the load on the circuit, having a higher available CCA will just keep voltage from dropping as much during starter operation.

^^ this is correct^^^
In fact you could use 5 yellow D31 Optima batteries (I believe 900cca) all wired In parallel (which would be 4500cca) to jump start a bike without
Frying anything.

if your battery was totally dead and you had it hooked to a running car with the alternator pushing high continuos amps would be the only way I could see a problem to the charging system and battery. Well if you reversed the cable connection too!

Back
Top Bottom